026 oiling too much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is you cannot put an adjustable oiler on a 026.
At minimum...there would have to be some modification done.

Never tried it personally...read about it couple years back on this forum.
If I'm mistaken...someone please correct me..and tell me how it's done..!!
:cheers:
J2F

some reading here- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/64252.htm

it is my understanding you can put an adjustable oiler on a non pro 026 as long as the cases have the relief for the adjuster.

Are you sure about that?

Firstly oiling at idle would be a stupid design flaw, secondly I've had both types apart and I'm pretty sure they both use the same little arm that locates into a notch on the back edge of the clutch drum.

i'm pretty certain of it. that's why they sell non pro and pro clutch drums. but i've been wrong before...

i'm pretty certain of it. that's why they sell non pro and pro clutch drums. but i've been wrong before...

Okay I stand corrected:redface:, if it is, it is. How come I have a pro and non-pro both with this then?? Frankensaw, or maybe been upgraded?

Okay I stand corrected:redface:, if it is, it is. How come I have a pro and non-pro both with this then?? Frankensaw, or maybe been upgraded?

i believe it probably came from the factory that way. i have a buddy that has 3 026's. one is a normal non pro 026, one has only the intelli-carb from a PRO complete with 026 PRO air filter cover and engine shroud, and one has only the adjustable oiler from a PRO. i have no idea why they came like this.

i have a non pro 026 with just the relief in the cases for the oil adjuster, but no adjuster or intelli-carb.

maybe Stihl was crankin these bad boys out so fast they were just grabbin any parts that would work?

Your problem is it's missing the little plastic or metal plug on the back of the oil pump. That is where the oil is coming from. I'll try and take a picture.

Last edited:
does it only sling extera oil when running, or leak all the time?
The tapered rubber plug where the oil pump suction side pushes against might be leaking.
If only when running, then I am of no help.

Got pictures.... I' am pointing toward the hole that the plug fell out of. It's about 1/16 in diameter.

My father told me his 026 (1998 model with non-adjustable oiler, bought in Canada) was dripping oil when stored. I thought the oil tank vent needed cleaning. Dropped by and started by cleaning the whole saw (he's not very good at taking care of his saw), including the tank vent. Then I started the saw: it was spitting oil like hell! After 30 seconds, there was oil everywhere. Removed the bar and tried again. The oil pump was indeed spitting out tons of oil. Any Ideas about the cause. I have a used adjustable oiler somewhere in my parts pile and will try it on next time I drop by. Nevertheless, I would like to understand what's going on here...

The pictures I took are of a pump that was doing the same thing. There should be a little metal dowel in that hole. You can fix the existing pump if you find something (like a welding rod) that will give you an interference fit. Compair it to a known good one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If it aint that I guess I'm a monkey's uncle...:msp_wink:

The non pro 026 oil pump as seen in the pics does not have the carrier that fits in the sprocket notch. Therefore, the pump is going to run as soon as the crankshaft turns. The pro version, as seen in the parts list, has the metal "tang" carrier that operates the pump as soon as the sprocket is engaged. While it may be true your problem is as the previous poster mentioned, it will still oil more than most saws because of the very basic design. On the old style pump the oiler engages as soon as the saw is cranked (even at idle it oils!) If you go to the "beg for manual's" thread in the Sticky section you can get a detailed parts list for the saw and see the differences in the adustable oiler and the non adjustable oiler.

The pictures I took are of a pump that was doing the same thing. There should be a little metal dowel in that hole. You can fix the existing pump if you find something (like a welding rod) that will give you an interference fit. Compair it to a known good one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If it aint that I guess I'm a monkey's uncle...:msp_wink:

I will take everything apart next time I go to my father's place (maybe next WE). I will check that out. If that's it, I'm good. Otherwise, I will fit an adjustable oiler. I am missing the worm gear to fit the adjustable oiler. Will order one from Germany (I"ll wait until I have more items to order, shipping is 10 euros no matter how many items...). In the meantime, has anyone tried an adjustable oiler with the metal gear of the non adjustable?

Well it went like this:

Guy has a problem.

Guy is given a real good solution along with pics to what problem is.

OP drops off the face of the earth.:msp_unsure:

Sorry I have been very busy lately (many problems, seems 2012 will be tough...). Had no time to come on AS. Did not have time to check my father's saw either (he live 2 1/2 hours away). Will probably not have time in the next few weeks. I promise I will post once I get to check it out.

2 llowed by 6

don't know if thiis is any help,but,my 026,ms260,and,ms260proall leak oil when set down upright.,but if iset them bar side down no stains!!some one once told me that if you use smmer weight oil in cold temps it breaks something,but mine does not oil excessively when running,but does oil very well!!!just always set them on their side.

Latest posts

Back