028 Has Developed a Problem . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 028 Super has just recently developed a problem. While holding the saw upright (as with cutting a log into lengths of firewood) it cuts fast and strong. But when the saw is turned sideways to cut a standing tree, it very quickly bogs down and loses almost all its power.

A factor that may or may not be related to this is that this saw doesn't seem to be oiling quite as well as my other 028's do. At the end of tank of fuel, I still have half a reservior of bar oil left.

Thanks in advance for any ideas gentlemen.

Hmmm.... if it's not fuel line or boot, it's likey a crank seal... I have seen carbs do the same when the needle valve was shot, but...

pressure and vac test...

Hmmm.... if it's not fuel line or boot, it's likey a crank seal... I have seen carbs do the same when the needle valve was shot, but...

pressure and vac test...

I once, seen a fuel filter become lodged in an upper corner also. Mostly due to an extra long fuel hose. But I always look toward the seals quickly on that model.

My 028 Super has just recently developed a problem. While holding the saw upright (as with cutting a log into lengths of firewood) it cuts fast and strong. But when the saw is turned sideways to cut a standing tree, it very quickly bogs down and loses almost all its power.

A factor that may or may not be related to this is that this saw doesn't seem to be oiling quite as well as my other 028's do. At the end of tank of fuel, I still have half a reservior of bar oil left.

Thanks in advance for any ideas gentlemen.

Need a little more descriptive t/s help.

Dose it cut the same as it always did when you say "fast and strong" or dose it seem to be better than ever when cutting your log lengths?

When you say it bogs and looses pwr (right side down?) is this during the whole duration of the cut you are trying to do or can you get it ripping again if you decrease the work load a tad then bite in again?

Dose it sound like it's breaking-up, loading-up, or dose it just feel like a turd?

How dose it idle? Like it always has?

Will it idle sitting normal? Will it idle if you lay it on it's side?

......All these questions will help people diagnose your 028 troubles. :cheers:

Kevin

Chainsaw Kid -- Yes, recently I've had to bump up the idle speed because it wanted to die out as it sat idling. I haven't thought to try letting it idle on its side. Maybe I need to try that.

And yes, when it bogs down and loses power while cutting into a tree from the side, it is for the whole duration of the cut. Backing off a bit and letting it catch up doesn't work to help this problem as it does with other saws when they get overloaded.

That sounds like carburetor work is needed.....if it were seals it would idle up....not down and stall

Just went through the same thing with a friend`s saw ,an 028, a carb cleaning ,really clean and kit fixed er up like new.
A little muffler mod after and he say`s it never worked this good from new. Pioneerguy600

Back