028 missing out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just finished about an hr. of surfing through the forum looking for a similar problem of mine, my 028WB missing out and then dying after about 5 min. of running. Will start up immediately but will miss out and die again. Cleaned the carb, could not get the in tank filter out, fuel line was not long enough to let me pull it out far enough so I sprayed carb cleaner on it and used a tooth brush to reach down in the tank and tried to clean it. Could this be an electrical problem or do you guys think I have a fuel problem? The saw starts within the 2nd pull every time, just after about 5 min. it starts missing out and then quits. After setting for a few min. it will run again but no longer than about 5 min. Appreciate any info I may receive.....

Just finished about an hr. of surfing through the forum looking for a similar problem of mine, my 028WB missing out and then dying after about 5 min. of running. Will start up immediately but will miss out and die again. Cleaned the carb, could not get the in tank filter out, fuel line was not long enough to let me pull it out far enough so I sprayed carb cleaner on it and used a tooth brush to reach down in the tank and tried to clean it. Could this be an electrical problem or do you guys think I have a fuel problem? The saw starts within the 2nd pull every time, just after about 5 min. it starts missing out and then quits. After setting for a few min. it will run again but no longer than about 5 min. Appreciate any info I may receive.....

More than likely its the tank vent, from the symptoms you have described.

Pioneerguy600

Another possibility. Check the condition of the impulse tube. I have seen a saw that would run fine untill it got hot and then died and wouldn't restart untill cold. The problem was a damaged impulse line.
:cheers:

Thanks Superman but where is the impulse line? I found a line coming out from the tank on top next to the carb, lower left side, it is rotten but don't know where it is to go to from there.

When it dies check two things:

1) A bright blue spark from a plug with the gap opened up, weak/no spark = bad coil/module.

2) Loosen gas tank cap and see if it starts, if so plugged vent line.

3) add a thimbleful of mix to the carb, if it tries to start you have fuel delivery problem. Check carb or vacuum leaks

4) If it is a real old 028 might be bad points/condenser, upgrade to electronic.

I found a line coming out from the tank on top next to the carb, lower left side, it is rotten but don't know where it is to go to from there.

I'm not entirely sure whether you are describing the fuel hose or tank vent, above. The impulse tube joins the underside of the carb and travels through to the crankcase. I'll send you a pm with a link to the illustrated parts list (IPL).

:cheers:

Thanks superman received the ipl today, thanks a million....

I am going to buy a new plug tomorrow and if that doesn't do it I guess I will pull the flywheel and go to work. Is it a very simple task to go with the electronic ign. on this?

When it dies check two things:

1) A bright blue spark from a plug with the gap opened up, weak/no spark = bad coil/module.

2) Loosen gas tank cap and see if it starts, if so plugged vent line.

3) add a thimbleful of mix to the carb, if it tries to start you have fuel delivery problem. Check carb or vacuum leaks

4) If it is a real old 028 might be bad points/condenser, upgrade to electronic.

Thank you Mad Professor, you guys here are really on top of things and I really appreciate everyones concerns and helping with all your knowledge. I know the plug is old and it may be breaking down when it gets hot but it will start as soon as I pull the rope once but still misses and dies. I will try #3 suggestion, already used up #2. Will post as soon as I try your suggestions and also Supermans ideas.. (hopefully this week)

Don't try to pull the flywheel!

Hello neighbor. Really don't know what you are trying to tell me. I did follow your link but only thing I saw was the electronic kit for the saw. Evidently you don't pull the flywheel to install it? I do have the points and condenser in my saw. (I think).

Yes, just snip the wire going to the points and bolt on the electronic coil.
You will have to hook the kill wire up.

Bought a new plug today and it did not correct the problem, as usual after 5 min. of running it would miss out and then die. It would restart immediately but would miss out and die again. When it started to miss out I would squirt some gas in the carb and it did not help it at all so I guess I will contact Fish and purchase the electronic ignition for it.

Bought a ign. coil from Fish and installed it the other day, started right up with plenty of fire. Went down to the creek and cut a small tree and sure enough, after 5 min. it missed out and died. Set it down and said a couple (or 3) cuss words, picked it up again and started it and ran a few min and died again. I checked the plug and it had plenty of spark. I went through the carb before the coil replacement. only thing left that I know to do is as superman recommended, replace the impulse line. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys...

Check the tank vent first.

I believe it's a section of fuel line with two grub screws inside it. You could just pull the whole line off and run it sans vent to see if that's the problem. If bad, replace the line...

impulse line

I'm with the Man of Steel on that one. I was gonna say dissassemble and clean the carb and filter extra good to make sure they're not fulla crap like mine were when my 028 exhibited the same behavior, but since you've already done that... Failing that, is a case leak indicated guys? (I'm learning too...)

EDIT: Oops, I thought the tank vent was already eliminated, and presumed fuel filter was good. Trying to follow the KISS mantra. Fuel squirted in didn't help though.

Last edited:
Check the tank vent first.

I believe it's a section of fuel line with two grub screws inside it. You could just pull the whole line off and run it sans vent to see if that's the problem. If bad, replace the line...

I've heard that 028s are prone to clogged tank vents. When the saw dies, open and then close the fuel tank cap, and if it runs again, you've got a clogged vent. Mung gets into the threads of the grub screws, and air can't get past, creating a suction in the tank that the impulse can't overcome.

I've heard that 028s are prone to clogged tank vents. When the saw dies, open and then close the fuel tank cap, and if it runs again, you've got a clogged vent. Mung gets into the threads of the grub screws, and air can't get past, creating a suction in the tank that the impulse can't overcome.

Thanks oldmar but I even took the cap off when it first started to miss out. I have poured gas into the carb when it starts to miss out to no avail.

For the record.....

I just said, "Don't try to pull the flywheel"

I had to reread this thread from the start.

So to start from the "start". Remove the muffler, and look at the piston.

Then, if that looks good, go through the carb and fuel line/filter.

For the record.....

I just said, "Don't try to pull the flywheel"

I had to reread this thread from the start.

So to start from the "start". Remove the muffler, and look at the piston.

Then, if that looks good, go through the carb and fuel line/filter.

I will look at the piston next, maybe next week sometime. I was so sure it was the points or condenser tho, still glad I have the electronic ignition . Thanks..

Back