030409 box elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brnchbrkr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Farmer is clearing up some of his property which is heavy with box elder.

Not really sure if its worth the time and effort to bring home.

P3040001.jpg

But, get to be close to home and put on the PPE and break out the files and
mix.

Got a pickup load full and emptied.
P3040003.jpg

Farmer is just pushing them over to get the stumps out with a backhoe.
Instead of pushing them into a big pile to burn, I have talked him into just laying them out so I don't have to try and pull them out of the pile....

He was just going to burn them so I think I might as well...Not sure if it is worth it again, but heck, if they burn fast, then that just means more trips to the wood pile.

Planning on using them on the mild days.
P3040008.jpg

Again, thanks for a great site with lot's of good info for cutting safely.

Next group coming down next week once the rest of frost comes out.
P3040009-1.gif

Playing around with photobucket enhancements.

:chainsaw:

I had a couple in my yard. I had them cut down and burned them. I know they arent the greatest firewood. Ill bet lots of members say dont waste your time. Like you said it will burn fast,youll have to mix it in with some better wood. :chainsaw:

I had a couple in my yard. I had them cut down and burned them. I know they arent the greatest firewood. Ill bet lots of members say dont waste your time. Like you said it will burn fast,youll have to mix it in with some better wood. :chainsaw:

Agreed. It's OK with a mix, but the stuff smells rather putrid as it dries. Lathe wood turners love the stripes for bowls and such. Cottonwood may even be better firewood than box elder.

Agreed. It's OK with a mix, but the stuff smells rather putrid as it dries. Lathe wood turners love the stripes for bowls and such. Cottonwood may even be better firewood than box elder.

Ya I forgot to mention the red veins that was in mine. I agree with the cotonwood too. And if it sat for over a year it started getting rotten.:cheers:

Stuff seems to grow faster in fencelines around here than you can cut it down. I burn a bunch of it during mild weather, like said above it doesn't last long in the stove, but it does save the "good stuff" for when it's really needed. (40°F right now here, not much need to fill with oak today).

Give 'er heck, the farmer might have a woodlot or two that needs cleaning out too. Might be a start into some "prime" cutting.

Wood is cellulose fiber, it all burns the same, it all gives the same heat, the big difference is time, and box elder will burn faster, but give the same heat as any other type of wood.

So, it makes a great 'chill taker offer' wood for fall and spring.

Myself, I just brought home, 6 dumptruck loads in three days of silver maple, box elder, and cherry....and I'm beat, but next winter is covered already, so it was worth the effort.

Lathe wood turners love the stripes for bowls and such.

Ah yes, I remember my very first experience cutting box elder. Never seeing the red veins before, I was cutting firewood length logs when I looked down to see the very bright red wood chips. I almost peed myself as I thought I cut into my own leg.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Now I am glad I got what I did when I did it.

We have had a lot of rain and off roading around here is out of the question.

Will just have to be contempt with splitting and stacking for awhile!

:cheers:

:chainsaw:

I know a lot of people pooh pooh box elder but I have to say - it burns quick and hot when seasoned.

It seasons pretty quickly, splits nicely, and helps getting the oak and cherry going.

I really like it, actually. Its a nice thing to have in my wood pile.

Back