034 AV Super (super deal)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn woodcutter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I just picked up an 034 AVS. I paid $30 and it came with two chains, a very new looking 20" bar, two 15' log chains, and a plastic stihl chain guard. It needs a card kit which was taped to the cover. I'm not familiar with these saws but I know a deal when I see one. My question is, would it be worth sending somewhere to have it ported? Would it make much of a difference in performance?

If I were to get a saw ported I would get a newer saw done . that saw really likes a muff mod if u want to startt there

Jesh, two 15' log chains are worth $30 bucks, so you basically got the saw for free. You suck!

I have an 034 S that's ported by Mastermind and I love it. Whether it's "worth it" is up to you. I would get it up and running and go from there.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Well here's the only pic I took before I dropped it off at my buddies place to have the carb done.

Attachments

• 20141030_140614.jpg
    20141030_140614.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 110
I really love the 034 supers. My grandfather bought a new one in the late 80s or early 90s. I only wish that I had it now. My uncle ended up with it when my grandfather died.

Well, my new $30 saw runs like a champ after the new card kit was installed. This saw really rips! I'm pumped to put a few tanks of gas through it!

My 034 I have owned since new, it is a great saw. Mine went to MasterMind for a little TLC and I have
been VERY happy with it. I run mine 40:1 and seems to do fine.
The are a very handy little saw.

The only thing I have noticed is that the oiler drips pretty bad. Starts good and idles well.

It is carB kit, short for carburetor. The oil is normal. If you are not cutting wood, there is nothing to absorb the oil, and it looks like a lot is pumping. Be glad it isn't pumping nothing. I had a guy bring a MS170 back for warranty yesterday. He had never actually cut anything with it, but starts it every month or so and runs it. Said it is leaking oil..... It is. Right out the oiler hole. I'm going to throw an oil line on there today, just to make him happy.

If it's dripping badly right under the drum, then you may have a cut oil line. Those are very common for this series. Fairly easy to repair if needed.

Edit- it may appear to be dripping out of the case where the adjuster screw is... that's a sign of a cut/nicked oil line or pump problem. As Saw Dr. said it could just be an oiler doing its thing without wood.

Back