036 carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rezarcher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 036 somehow got it's high and low screws out of whack just from sitting in the garage for a few days. I see the high is supposed to be 3/4 out from seated, and low is 1/4. My question is this: There are tabs on the screws that prevent them from being turned 180 degrees, do I simply turn them counterclockwise till they hit the opposing screw then turn them out the 3/4 and 1/4 from there?

There is no way the needles just moved themselves. They have springs to keep tension and to keep them from moving. They can migrate a little over time when run, but not just chilling out in garage.

I suggest you take a dry-wall screw and run it into the end of the limiters. Then slowly twist and turn until the limiters pop out. Then take a razor and trim the tabs off that control how far the needles can turn. Tune the saw using the basic settings of one turn out on both the H & L side. Those settings will get you very close unless you have an air leak or need a carb kit. Once the carb is tuned you can replace the modified limiters to help keep the needles from moving.

I typed that first sentence with sarcasm...sorry it didn't come out that way. Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.

I guess I should describe how this came about in case someone senses there's a different problem. I use the saw 1-2 days per week for about 3 hours at a time. Over the course of about three weeks the saw would occasionally bog out either from punching the throttle from idle or while the saw was WOT going through a log. As soon as I let of the throttle it'd go right to idle and idle just fine. Then I'd have to pump her back up to achieve WOT. I might have this symptom one or two more times per use. I'm now playing with carb settings. I figure I've got it close but just wanted some opinions on here. If the high or low screw is out of adjustment, can I damage the saw?

Acceleration problems usually come from a L needle that is too far in, and that is the first thing to check. But if a needle is going to move, it is usually going to back out bc of the tension of the spring. A needle can move too far and cause too much mix to be dumped into the carb and cause a flooding condition on acceleration. You symptoms could also come from worn diaphragms, collapsing fuel line or impulse line, or a clogged passage in the carb. Start with the simple stuff and work from there.

Latest posts

Back