036 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, when i took the filter off it was soaked and there was dirt all over it. If the piston skirt is worn, will the saw still have good compression? The saw has about 160 PSI of compression. I was trying it out for the first time today and after some carb tuning it ran pretty good. I had the filter off when i was trying it and gas kept blowing on my hand everytime i gave it more throttle.

Unfortunately you can have excellent compression and a worn skirt...I see it all the time when filters have been neglected (more so on older style flocked filters).

Oil soaked filter isn't a good sign, but if you keep washing out the filter it will likely run pretty well. Can you hear the piston slap at idle?

The saw sounded pretty loud, but nothing outta the ordinary. i will try her again tomorrow. I should just go an order a new piston kit then. Will the saw detonate if i keep running even though it has this problem?

Probably not.. Idle quality will suffer and the blocking filter will degrade performance somewhat.

I'd just use it and see how it work out.

Back