036 vs. MS 360 Vs. MS 361 vs. MS 362 I want them all, but can have only one.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went from 20" to 18" on an 034 super, soon went back to 20". I like the feel of the 20" much better for my build. If I was a shorty, maybe I'd like the 18.
By the way, I was thinking the 034's weighed less then the 036, does any one know the weight difference.
The 361 looks like a pain in the behind to muffler mod and I never attempted it. The ones I run seemed a bit choked up. Smooth and nice though and 1 of these days I'd like to get a fined tuned 1 in my line up and use it enough to see how well it fits in.

I went from 20" to 18" on an 034 super, soon went back to 20". I like the feel of the 20" much better for my build. If I was a shorty, maybe I'd like the 18.
By the way, I was thinking the 034's weighed less then the 036, does any one know the weight difference.
The 361 looks like a pain in the behind to muffler mod and I never attempted it. The ones I run seemed a bit choked up. Smooth and nice though and 1 of these days I'd like to get a fined tuned 1 in my line up and use it enough to see how well it fits in.

If you want to have muffler done that rips get in touch.

Nice saw? Yes.

Beast? That's a bit of a hyperbolic statement.

Yeah, I think I'd back off gettin' too excited right around "wicked rascal" before I went all out "BEAST" on any 60cc class saw.:msp_tongue:

But I love my 036 just the same and have a 361 waiting in the wings for a rebuild as soon as I get my "little pup" 066 project wound up.:laugh:

:cheers:

Last edited:
why is everyone so harsh on the ms362? i had one last summer and loved it. my father in law (who has been cutting for 40 years) borrowed it and loved it. my ms362 absolutely ripped, and im just wondering what it is that you guys dont like about it?

Yeah, I think I'd back off gettin' too excited right around "wicked rascal" before I went all out "BEAST" on any 60cc class saw.:msp_tongue:

But I love my 036 just the same and have a 361 waiting in the wings for a rebuild as soon as I get my "little pup" 066 project wound up.:laugh:

:cheers:

Agreed, within its respected class that is.

I don't know why everyone hates the 362?

I have a brand new one sitting here for sale. It has never been in wood. They seem to be a very well built saw. I think most of them just need a muf mod, limiters done and a good tune. I was willing to throw that in with the deal to an AS member here.

why is everyone so harsh on the ms362? i had one last summer and loved it. my father in law (who has been cutting for 40 years) borrowed it and loved it. my ms362 absolutely ripped, and im just wondering what it is that you guys dont like about it?

Some just have an overzealous attitude that you have to discount a little. That said, the 361 has a loyal following (and it appears many are Husky devotees - might have something to do with the similar design). I have zero experience with a 361 so I'll take it for fact that they will really rip. I can contrast the 362 and the 036Pro based only upon my long use of a single 036Pro and recent use of two 362s. I assume that they are representative of the class but I wouldn't know. Long intro done. Pros and Cons: My 036Pro is more nimble ( I have used 18", 20" & 25" bars on it). It has been rock solid dependable - as in zero repairs since new unless you count the one spike screw that vibrated loose. Both of my 362s have a broader power band than the 036Pro. They all start about the same. Although they appear similar, the combo lever/switch on the 362s seems weaker than the 036Pro and I have one that is constantly out of sorts which requires a partial dis-assembly to fix. The 362s have a two stage filtration that I like. The 362's case protrusion renders the spike practically useless. The 362s seem to burn less fuel. If I could choose between a new 036Pro and a new 362 I would take the 036Pro simply for its proven reliability. Performance wise I would flip a coin. Ron

The quad port top end design is primarily what sets the 361 apart from the 036 and the 362, hence the appreciation from the Husky crowd...even Saw Troll.:clap:

Correct, as that makes the saw more responsive and more fun to run. It is the only quad transfer Stihl, that isn't a "strato" (the first generation stratos remove the responsiveness and fun). :msp_wink:

Correct, as that makes the saw more responsive and more fun to run. It is the only quad transfer Stihl, that isn't a "strato" (the first generation stratos remove the responsiveness and fun). :msp_wink:

ST,
Isn't the 461 just a larger version of the 361? Quad transfers but a non-strato? I have both and they are very good saws. Thanks.

The quad port top end design is primarily what sets the 361 apart from the 036 and the 362, hence the appreciation from the Husky crowd...even Saw Troll.:clap:

Your right on point with that. Who can get us some factory degree numbers on the Euro saw???

What I'm using on the US ported saw has really opened up the top end power above 9K. The peak power curve being broader and flatter was also a nice bonus.

I have all the numbers for the US model(s). They made some changes along the way in it's short run. Some are obvious some are not.

Last edited:
I want each of these, but can only have one. Of these 4 saws, which one would you have?:msp_confused:

Well, I pulled the trigger as they say. Thanks for the great tips and information. How I got to it is quite involved. First I bought a 036 from ebay that was toasted. I resold that one to a guy that wanted to port and modify. he was OK with it in its condition and was happy to have it. I beat the bushes for a low use 361 at a nice price but was unable to find one. last saturday I became the proud owner of a spanking new 362. I am impressed with it so far. it runs smooth and is much more powerful than my 290 and 270. You guys are absolutely right when you say pro saws are worth the money

I should be happy with it for a long time. Maybe it will get ported after the warranty is up???

Yes, as this Stihl (well, at least the Euro Version) has very good throttle response and a very good top end (above max hp rpm) - unlike most Stihl saws. :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back