039 got me scratching my head?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detroit Dazzler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So not sure what's the malfunction but starts stalls when giving it gas, will idle on its own, if you tip the saw on its side loosen the fuel cap it will come to life with no problems, tighten it up and it will run for a bit then return to the same thing. Seems like its pressurizing the tank but how? I've replaced fuel line, carb, and new fuel tank vent hose with the little screw in the hose

Perhaps a weak or torn carb diaphragm?
By flipping it on its side you may be aiding fuel flow by gravity. It certainly is starving for gas when in upright position.
Other fellas may have more insight.
Just a thought.

Went to the Stihl dealer and picked a new vent hose, going to install it tomorrow and see what happens, I'm wondering if I put the screw in and it sealed it tight in the hose

Went to the Stihl dealer and picked a new vent hose, going to install it tomorrow and see what happens, I'm wondering if I put the screw in and it sealed it tight in the hose
Of all the components mentioned, it's the most likely. If it appears to be drawing a vacuum in the tank you need to locate what is preventing the vent. The vent hose seems most likely. Frankly, that style vent hose seems a little archaic for 2017, in my opinion. Surprised they haven't come up with something more "high tech." Lol

Back