041 AV Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up my $50 041AV Super Craigslist find. It's definately a project saw. It needs a coil, muffler, and perhaps a kill switch. What I wasn't expecting was a crack in the oil tank. Something good sized struck the front of the case, slightly caved it in, and cracked the left side case. Someone did a real sloppy JB Weld repair to it. I've already cleaned that off in order to see what I had to work with. It should be an easy fix that isn't even noticeable. I'm going to tear it down a bit farther though before buying a coil and muffler. I want to make sure the crank and P&C are good before continuing.

Are parts still available for this thing? I'm especially interested in a gasket set at this point. Looking through the IPL I don't see a gasket set mentioned, only individual gaskets. The most important ones are the case,a dn cylinder gaskets. How many of the gaskets are interchangeable with the 041FB and 041AV? I'll need intake and exhaust gaskets as well.

This saw will take a back burner to the 07S and 066 Magnum I'll be doing soon, but I thought I'd start my parts research in the mean time.

You will be making case gaskets unless you can find NOS... Ignition? a real problem finding good used, and no new..

I have a muffler for it and am pretty sure I have an ignition when you need them blsnell

No Chinese either....

FYI, I bought this saw from the original owner. He bought it new in 1980. I got the little bag of tools and manual with it. He used it until the coil failed a couple of years ago and replaced the saw with a 046.

Curt Bailey ha cylinder gaskets for a 041 non super. I bought a couple and have not had time to see if they will work for my super. The part number is different.

Curt Bailey has cylinder gaskets for a 041 non super. I bought a couple and have not had time to see if they will work for my super. The part number is different.

P&C n.l.a.

blsnelling... I just rebuilt mine last year. No oem P&S unless u find a dealer with 1 in stock. I searched ebay and all dealers in my area finally found one at a dealer in hamilton OH. it was blind luck as it was in a plastic bag under an inch of dust on the "dont know what this is for shelf". so i hope your P&C is good. also i would be interested in what you do to it if you snellerize this one. I know mine is a brute with a 20in bar and stihl RS chain and I have done nothing but set the carb.

blsnelling... I just rebuilt mine last year. No oem P&S unless u find a dealer with 1 in stock. I searched ebay and all dealers in my area finally found one at a dealer in hamilton OH. it was blind luck as it was in a plastic bag under an inch of dust on the "dont know what this is for shelf". so i hope your P&C is good. also i would be interested in what you do to it if you snellerize this one. I know mine is a brute with a 20in bar and stihl RS chain and I have done nothing but set the carb.

I believe my P&C is good. It was only shelved because the coil failed. I can't see the P&C very well until further disassembly, but what little I can see looks ok. It seems to have very good compression. I don't want to pull it over much until I get the jug off and clean things up.

Right now, I just plan to get everything clean and in good running order. I'd like to take it to the April GTG. Down the road it'll likely get the full restoration paint job. Of course i often don't know where to stop when I start on something and could end up anywhere:)

I just talked to the dealer. I ordered the following and none of the PNs came back NLA. I'll be anxious to see how many are on backorder.

case gasket 1110 029 0501
cylinder gasket 1110 029 2301
exhaust gasket 1110 149 0601
intake gasket x 2 1110 129 1401
carb gasket x 2 1111 129 1100
carb gasket 1110 149 1200
muffler bolts x 2 9036 341 0980

Maybe one Stihl region has a couple left, but the super base gasket and the case gasket are NLA out here and the East coast.

I recently got 2 base gaskets from Curt Bailey. I checked, and they fit. My cylinder is marked 48ZN9W2 and measures 1.860" bore. The base gasket was NLA when I checked two years ago. Curt showed 10 in stock when I ordered mine.
I got a gasket/seal set from ebay out of N. C. (not Curt) and it was marked Bond's Dist. Charlotte, N C part #G 278.
I have been slowly getting all of the parts together to restore my 041 AVE Super. The case was wallowed out on the flywheel side and I did find a NOS case and oil tank. Luckily my P/C are good.
Were you the one bidding up the 041 ave service manual on ebay this past Sunday?

Everything came in except for the cylinder and case gaskets. The cylinder gasket is NLA and the case gasket is on back order. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it when you guys have told me it's NLA else where. I ordered a case gasket from cheastihlparts and a cylinder gasket from CBailey. I hope to get it torn down tomorrow. If I find a bad P&C or crank, you'll be seeing 041Super parts on eBay:cry:

Back