041 AV Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always worth try.. I found a quite a few where that was the problem... On the other hand.. quite a few where it didn't fix anything!

Well to be honest the old saw is in great shape, no cracks anywhere. A one owner saw who took good care of it. Said he bought it brand new. He lost the bearing, bought a new 361 and told me to enjoy that old saw and out the door he went, my kinda customer,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

It surely is one of the nicest 041's i've ever seen. That guy must have been meticulous taking care of it or never used it. Either way it sho is purty. You been fallin into some amazin stuff lately, attaboy.

???

I just put a socket on the drill and spin from the ignition side. It might need to tighten it a bit but not that much with the plug out,

Last edited:
???

I just put a socket on the drill and spin from the ignition side. It might tighten a bit but not that much with the plug out,

Umm I thought you said before that that style will not fire spun backwards.....or was that a different quadrature induction ignition type only?

To be honest I have never spun one clockwise to find out

well.. of course you need a few turns on the friggin nut! Just don't bother torquing it to spec. Yes.., I edited the orginal - dinner got in the way.

Spin it from the clutch side if you like - works on the old outboard clutches... but you'll need to assemble the saw first!

Last edited:
It surely is one of the nicest 041's i've ever seen. That guy must have been meticulous taking care of it or never used it. Either way it sho is purty. You been fallin into some amazin stuff lately, attaboy.

Thankya ole chap and your right, I have been getting some home runs of late. I got a Husky 51 the other day. Kinda raggy looking with a fried cylinder. Ole boy bought a 260 and said keep it. I looked it over and thought, mmmmmmmm, nasty looking saw. I gave it away Saturday, so nasty looking you wouldn't have wanted that one. Tis the season now, plenty more will be coming in, stop by often......

I was able to repair my muffler. The baffle had broken loose inside and was rattling around. I cut the muffler in half along the seam, removed the loose piece of steel, and was able to weld it back up. Saved myself $35-$45.

The case halves are back together, new seals installed, painted, and cylinder installed. The muffler's in the oven curing.

Good thing

As I can't find the 041S muffler.....and it has a different outlet because of the muffler cover than the regular 041s.

Well.....I have an 076 muffler for sale now.:dizzy:

Older Stihl AV parts

Went by one of our local saw shops to pick up a few things the other day, this shop has been in business since the early 70's ( I still have the 41 av that my dad bought from this shop in the 70's). Anyway, was looking around on the parts shelves, he has alot of new parts for the older av's- saw several handles, starter cases, clutch covers, air cleaner covers, and the list goes on and on- all parts are new ( with alot of dust) Shop's name is Randy's one shop Phone number is (318) 445 9853- central standard time- He also had a few 41's laying around as parts saws that looked rebuildable- very few of the loggers around here use any of the older saws. He's open Monday through Friday from 7:30a to 5p. He would probably make a deal to unload the whole kitnkabutle if someone wanted them....

A little update. The case halves are back together and painted. All other grey parts are painted as well. I was just goint to clean the saw up and put it back together without painting. However, I had to paint the repair on the cracked oil tank, so I went ahead and painted all the grey parts. I'm hoping to finish the assembly this afternoon. I cleaned the carb last night and will need a kit. I'm going to see if it'll run in the mean time. That will aslo help me diagnose the ignition system. Hopefully the bad coil was the bare ground wire I found. I replaced most of that wire and shrink wrapped the connection.

Latest posts

Back