041 AV Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've taken them out or they are loose, put the carb studs into the cylinder with red loctite... and I'd replace the gaskets on the inlet block.

Here she is. Unfortunately it won't run. The coil must be bad. I'm getting an intermitent very weak spark.
275253518_6YFv4-M.jpg

275253695_Y3m73-M.jpg

275253399_fVBRH-M.jpg

275253687_VPNa3-M.jpg

I originally had no intentions of painting this saw. I was going to clean it up and put it back together. I had to repair a crack in the oil tank, so at least some painting was going to be necessary. And it just went from there. I did not use Stihl orange. That stuff if almost opaque and takes a million coats to cover. So I took the filter cover to Lowes with me. Believe it or not, Rustoleum orange was extremely close. Not perfect, but close enough. It covers very nicely and flows out well. It doesn't dry as quickly as the Stihl grey. But I was able to handle it today to put it together after painting it last night and having it in the oven at 170F for a couple hours.

Funny thing about those ignitions....in some years the German saws had the Swedish ignitions while the Swedish saws had the German......same years

Very very nice!!!!
Mine is still in a box waiting to go back together. It needed a new case and has taken a while to gather all of the needed parts. The next item that is needed is ambition!

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

THAT is the most beautiful chainsaw i think i have ever seen!!!!!i think that's going to be my new back ground on my computer...

and yes i have an obsession w/ 041 supers....

Brad, excellent job as usual.
How many hours do you approx. put in a rebuild that we are used to see of you ? I need to know for when I am going to retire .... :cheers:

I really have no idea. I was a lot more particular with the 07S and 08S. I do this in my spare time after work and can do a typical refurbish in less than a week, assuming I'm not waiting on parts. This may be totally off the wall, but if I had to put a number on it, I'd guess 12-16 hours.

question

how do you go about repainting these things....like taking old paint off, what to do about dings if you use the origonal parts, what method do you use to paint them...stuff like that.......

how do you go about repainting these things....like taking old paint off, what to do about dings if you use the origonal parts, what method do you use to paint them...stuff like that.......

The biggest thing here is to get the saw clean and oil free. I do not strip the paint. I remove what ever's loose and then feather the edges. I'll go over the entire surface with 220 grit wet'dry sand paper. I don't go so far as filling nicks with body filler. I'd drive my self crazy for sure if I took it to that level. For a "working saw", I use Stihl grep spray paint, PN 0000 000 2102. I do not prime and spray directly over the original finish. I've tried to find a clear that doesn't attack and wrinkle it. So far the only one I've found is Polyurethane. It's intended for wood and I've only used it on one easily repainted part. All parts are then put in the oven at 170F for a couple hours.

On the 07S and 08S I used an automotice single-stage acrylic urethane. No clear coat. Both saws were entirely primed with self-etching primer. Going this route is a lot more work and expense. I figure it costs me nearly $75 per saw. You end up with a saw that likely looks better than new though. It's completely fuel resistant and isn't ruined the first time you spill gasoline on it.

Latest posts

Back