041 Farm Boss trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Andrews

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a late 70’s Farm Boss, that was running great, and suddenly stopped. New spark plug is sparking, carb is pulling gas, air filter is clean, but it will not start. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You say it is getting gas but, have you tried putting a little mix down the sparkplug hole and starting it just to see if it will run for a few seconds?With choke on obviously. I'm wondering if it's not getting enough gas.

You say it is getting gas but, have you tried putting a little mix down the sparkplug hole and starting it just to see if it will run for a few seconds?With choke on obviously. I'm wondering if it's not getting enough gas.
I tried a little starting fluid in the plug hole, still nothing.

This is baffling, I keep coming back to not enough gas getting through the carb. Possible partially collapsed fuel line. I assume you've opened the fuel tank since this started?

This is baffling, I keep coming back to not enough gas getting through the carb. Possible partially collapsed fuel line. I assume you've opened the fuel tank since this started?
Yes, and I have clear fuel line, so I can see it flowing in. I cleaned the carb as well.

Pull exhaust, look at piston, rings, cylinder. You have spark, you put fuel in cylinder, and no hit? So compression could be an issue. When was last time points were cleaned or adjusted?

If that’s good,Had an issue with my FILs 041 ended up needing new o rings and seal for oiler. Kept getting bar oil into the crank. Saw would run well for 10 mins then die like you turned a switch. New plug would run it for 10 mins, then die again.

put a plug in it may be flooded pull the plug and pull the rope 6 or 8 times to clear out the fuel if it is flooded
Ok
I’ll try that tomorrow
Pull exhaust, look at piston, rings, cylinder. You have spark, you put fuel in cylinder, and no hit? So compression could be an issue. When was last time points were cleaned or adjusted?

If that’s good,Had an issue with my FILs 041 ended up needing new o rings and seal for oiler. Kept getting bar oil into the crank. Saw would run well for 10 mins then die like you turned a switch. New plug would run it for 10 mins, then die again.
I’ve only had it 2 years, but I’ve never adjusted the points.

Sometimes fouled plugs will fire in open air but not under compression. Try a known good or new plug.

Starter fluid in the plug hole may have evaporated by the time you tried to start the saw. Squirt a little fuel or starting fluid directly into the carb intake.

Broken flywheel key that was suggested.

Sometimes fouled plugs will fire in open air but not under compression. Try a known good or new plug.

Starter fluid in the plug hole may have evaporated by the time you tried to start the saw. Squirt a little fuel or starting fluid directly into the carb intake.

Broken flywheel key that was suggested.

Plug is brand new. I tried both, in the carb, and in the plug hole. It’s been frustrating. Hahahaha
Carb was also disassembled and cleaned.

Back