041 Farm Boss trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulse hose, intake gaskets, inlet screen,fuel hose. Pressure test the fuel line. Known failure where the elbow is at the tank.
Spark test with a plug or a tester? At least open the gap on the plug to a 1/4 inch or more.
Does air filter base move if you try to wiggle it?
Switch and wire.
Can pretty much do one in my sleep anymore. Like doing Quadrajets in the 80s.
Does the compression hold the weight of the saw when held by the starter handle? That is a compression test.

Pulse hose, intake gaskets, inlet screen,fuel hose. Pressure test the fuel line. Known failure where the elbow is at the tank.
Spark test with a plug or a tester? At least open the gap on the plug to a 1/4 inch or more.
Does air filter base move if you try to wiggle it?
Switch and wire.
Can pretty much do one in my sleep anymore. Like doing Quadrajets in the 80s.
Does the compression hold the weight of the saw when held by the starter handle? That is a compression test.
Yes it will hold the weight of the saw. I’ll regap the plug and check the exhaust today if I can.
Fuel line, fuel filter and pulse hose are good.

I had a Honda Generator do this to me on one of our fire trucks, i did some serious head scratching, turns out the shaft broke on the throttle plate, it did it in such a manner that it didn’t fall out and would suck shut and stick, but it didn’t appear broken until I dismantled the carburetor. I know you said you cleaned it, but if you didn’t really dismantle, might be worth a look.

I had a Honda Generator do this to me on one of our fire trucks, i did some serious head scratching, turns out the shaft broke on the throttle plate, it did it in such a manner that it didn’t fall out and would suck shut and stick, but it didn’t appear broken until I dismantled the carburetor. I know you said you cleaned it, but if you didn’t really dismantle, might be worth a look.
Yeah, I completely disassembled it, and cleaned it as well. It all looks good as far as I can see

Yeah, I completely disassembled it, and cleaned it as well. It all looks good as far as I can see
I don’t think you said you pulled the muffler. Did you visually inspect piston/cylinder? Not too much sense getting into the weeds on troubleshooting if that’s not checked.

My FIL has a farm boss, IIRC it has points, not electronic? Seems like i had to clean them once, but my memory is foggy. Does the saw have hot blue spark going straight from the electrode or is it yellow and jumping around? A spark tester like this is cheap and effective at testing strength of a coil. Weak coil wont work well under compression also make sure your on off switch isn’t misbehaving, might be worth unhooking it just as a test, if it is carboned up or making intermittently it will mimic a bad coil but could potentially still produce spark.

We bought my FIL a 550xp to replace the farm boss, but he took the Stihl to his summer place where he continues to fight with it. I suggested stepping to the end of the dock and throwing it as far as he can out into the water last time he called scratching his head about getting it to run.

Spark looks steady and good. Switch stops the spark. I’ll dive into it more if the exhaust screen doesn’t fix the problem

Yes it will hold the weight of the saw. I’ll regap the plug and check the exhaust today if I can.
Fuel line, fuel filter and pulse hose are good.
Hey man, it no longer holds the weight of the saw!
Thank you for the suggestion, I ordered a new piston and cylinder today.

Hey man, it no longer holds the weight of the saw!
Thank you for the suggestion, I ordered a new piston and cylinder today.
Post a picture of the piston and cylinder from the exhaust side. Or if you are already pulling the jug throw us a bone and snap some pics.

I believe this is the problem
That’ll do it. The question is, why’d it happen? I have an 041 top end thread on here with very similar scoring as the basis for my new top end. In reality I should have salvaged the stihl cylinder and just replaced the piston. I was looking at cylinder just the other day as I was organizing some parts and it’s in pretty good shape.

I got the saw with the blown top, from my father in law. It had been sitting under his bench for 5 plus years and I took it. I wasn’t sure how much was done to it to investigate, but there were several missing screws, exhaust was loose. Seemed like a lot of vibration over 40 plus years had taken a toll. Wasn’t sure if something had gotten into exhaust or intake, carbon scoring, etc. no idea if the cause. It apparently just stopped running, I think with a puff of smoke.

Gentlemen, the part is in, I’ll be assembling it soon.
Is that the wrist pin and retaining clips you pulled out? Does the fact that they are not c shaped but have the ears on them indicate that they had been replaced previously?

Latest posts

Back