041 Farm Boss trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to my uncle who bought it new in ‘78, and he said it’s never been apart.
Interesting. I can’t remember what they looked like on the 041 I redid that had the original p&c but thought it seemed like stihl uses the c style clips compared to some of the current after market ones. But apparently they used that design in the old days. I just checked and apparently tossed the old ones when I did the top.

I need to dial in the carb a little, but it’s alive!
Interesting. I can’t remember what they looked like on the 041 I redid that had the original p&c but thought it seemed like stihl uses the c style clips compared to some of the current after market ones. But apparently they used that design in the old days. I just checked and apparently tossed the old ones when I did the top.
Oh ok. The new parts came with the c style clips, but it was easier to reinstall the old ones

I need to dial in the carb a little, but it’s alive!

Oh ok. The new parts came with the c style clips, but it was easier to reinstall the old ones
Did you install them in the proper orientation with the "ears" facing either up or down? If installed sideways the weight of the ear can cause them to come out as the spring compresses as it moves up and down.

Is that the wrist pin and retaining clips you pulled out? Does the fact that they are not c shaped but have the ears on them indicate that they had been replaced previously?
No, those came that way.

But, I think I would pull the seals and inspect the crank bearings to see if any of the cage is missing.

If you have a way to check the compression, I would try that. I just finished working on a Husky with only 75 PSI. I had plenty of spark and fuel but it would not start. The suggestions on this site were to replace the jug and piston. I found a kit on eBay for around $40 (Chinese of course) and it did the job. The saw is almost brand new and easy to start with lots of power.
One suggestion from my local Sthil dealer was to hold the saw by the pull cord and see if it drops. The saw should drop to the first compression stroke and hang there. If it continues to drop you have lost compression and it's time for a rebuild.

Back