041 flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got this 041 farmboss that i can't seem to keep from flooding, i installed a new carb kit and have adjusted the diaphram pin arm up-down and all around with no luck. The saw will start and run once i drain the excess mix out, it will run until the small amount left is burnt. I've installed new rings and also new seals on the oil pump because, when it came to me it felt like it had 1000psi due to bar oil leaking into the cylinder. Not sure what to try next. I have changed the fuel lines and added a Stihl fuel line as the impulse hose ( could that be why it floods?) Great saw if i can only get it setup right. Maybe the carb is toast?

can't remember right off the top of my head on an 041, but if it is getting bar oil into the crankcase then your crank case gasket it bad, atleast this would be the case on a newer saw......hope this helps

If it's getting oil in the crankcase, it's not the crankcase gasket - just the oil pump rubber ring...

If the saw is flooding from the carb siphoning fuel from the tank, it's often the carb inlet valve seat (no-replacable). Pressure test the carb though the fuel inlet tube.

If it's getting oil in the crankcase, it's not the crankcase gasket - just the oil pump rubber ring...

If the saw is flooding from the carb siphoning fuel from the tank, it's often the carb inlet valve seat (no-replacable). Pressure test the carb though the fuel inlet tube.

this man is a genius!!! i had an 046 that the crankcase gasket went bad and let oil into the crankcase.

Yes, on the 041 it is 90% of the time the oil pump seals which is why i replaced them. I will look for another carb as i figured it may be the H or L seats. I did repalce the H & l screws as well with no luck and tried re-setting the gap on the points, even though it appeared to have great spark ( just a thought) Thanks Andy, i will not bother pressure testing the carb, i find its just as easy to replace it. I did have a similar problem with the Husky 359 ( EPA CARB. ) Turns out the carb was shot.

So.. do you have bar oil in the crankcase now or not? Sometimes it's the tiny o-rings, not just the ring seal. If you pressure test the saw you can see if it's leaking out/in though the oil pump or where ever.

I'd still pressure test the carb - 10 seconds... An otoscope view of the inlet valve seat will also tell you if it's worn.

Doc, here is what I would suggest although this may be a long shot. With the plug out, how does it pull over? I suspect it will pull over fine. Now replace the plug. If it feels like it is very hard to turn over this may be a good sign. How does the starting rope look? What I suspect is that the rope is worn and binding itself in the spool.This may be what is causing the 1000psi. As the rope is binding you are loosing all the mechanical leverage.This happened to my on a Husky 55. I hope this will help although it is a long shot, Ken

Back