041 Stihl - still can't get her running right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilpig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I've been trying to get her running. This is what's going on. Bought her from a guy that rebuilt the carb. He said he had it running. He ran 16:1 gas mix through it regularly. I got it and ran 50:1 through it. When I would run it, it would run for 5 min very strong then die. Took the carb off and made sure everything was clean and tight. Didn't see any places where air could get in, at least no scratches or scars. I have adjusted the carb to the factory setting of 3/4 open for the high and 1 1/4 for the low then made fine adjustments from there. It ran very well and smoked a little. But then it stalled again. Pulled it about 15 times and would not start. Took the plug out and it was wet but didn't seem to wet. I dried it with my propane torch and put it back in. Started on the first pull. Stalled again after about 5 minutes. Got tired of playing with after that.

Plug looks new. Gas is new. My only thought now is to try his mix on gas (16:1). Manuel says 25:1.

Another thought. The oiler just spues out oil. I have never had a saw that pumed out so much oil. I went to adjust it and instead of a nob like the manuel says, there's a nut with a lock washer and another washer. Could this affect it? And yes, I'm running moter oil though it and not bar oil.

well I can solve the oiler problem BUY BAR OIL it is thicker than motor oil thus needing more power to pump bar and chain oil is 3.77 a gallon at wally world motor oil is 5.66 a gal at wally world you do the math the stuff designed for the purpose is actually cheaper than the stuff you are useing unless you are useing used motor oil in which case enjoy the cancer and the oiler rebuild.

Dang, that 041 is sure one heck of a saw. Just got one running the other day for a friend (041 Farmboss). That thing can just tear through wood with a full chisel. Had the bar just buried in some big sugar maple today on it, (was over 20" wide, more like 30, since I only had a 20 on it; big for firewood around here, and I was surprised it wasn't hollow), and it just kept on going through it. The only way I could stall it was by digging the bucking spikes way into it, and giving it a lot of force. Sure wish I had an 041. Fun saw; sure like it for bucking more than my 039. Do you have just an 041, or an 041G? I think the 041 G would be interesting. My old Homelite 66 is gear drive, but I haven't run it yet. Never ran a Homelite. I've run an 039, 044, 038AV, 041, 011AV, MS210, a Husky 262 (I think), a Dolmar 45cc, plastic mac, and a few more I can't remember. Favorites are the 038, 041, and 044. 041 probably the most fun, but it lacks a A/V system, and gives me itchy and numb hands when I don't wear gloves with it (just like my $4 tool sale angle grinder). Anyway, sorry for the off topic ramblings.

Edit- the little olympyk is such a pain for ground work, I just left it out. :D Great little climbing saw, IMO.

That don't make sense...

When a engine just quits, there has to be a reason.
Go thru the list:

Air? Fuel? Compression? Spark?

Can't be air, it would not just "quit". Fuel can cause something like this, but if the plug is "wet" that means it probably is getting fuel. Compression can be ruled out as you can get it started. Spark, or lack of. I am going to venture the thought that when heated up, the coil is failing. This saw should still have breaker points, I doubt that is the problem (at this time).

My 041 ran for well over 20 years on 40:1 mix. Use a quality oil. The oiler has a WIDE range of adjustment. Concerning the oiler, the oil tank is way too small, and the gas tank is way to big.

Good saw, if you can stand the vibration. Pulls like a mutha :hmm3grin2orange:

-Pat

Here's a thought-
Vent in the gas cap plugged?

I had forgotten for a while how bad a chainsaw could vibrate. :D

40 or 50:1 (use real good stroke oil!!) is fine... Most "quit after short run" is ignition failure. All 16:1 will do is foul the plug and smoke badly.

Immediately it quits, check the spark. Bend up a plug ground electrode so you have gap of about 3/16 inch, then ground the plug body to the cylinder. You should see a fat spark.

lilpig said:
Ok I've been trying to get her running. This is what's going on. Bought her from a guy that rebuilt the carb. He said he had it running. He ran 16:1 gas mix through it regularly. I got it and ran 50:1 through it. When I would run it, it would run for 5 min very strong then die. Took the carb off and made sure everything was clean and tight. Didn't see any places where air could get in, at least no scratches or scars. I have adjusted the carb to the factory setting of 3/4 open for the high and 1 1/4 for the low then made fine adjustments from there. It ran very well and smoked a little. But then it stalled again. Pulled it about 15 times and would not start. Took the plug out and it was wet but didn't seem to wet. I dried it with my propane torch and put it back in. Started on the first pull. Stalled again after about 5 minutes. Got tired of playing with after that.

Plug looks new. Gas is new. My only thought now is to try his mix on gas (16:1). Manuel says 25:1.

Another thought. The oiler just spues out oil. I have never had a saw that pumed out so much oil. I went to adjust it and instead of a nob like the manuel says, there's a nut with a lock washer and another washer. Could this affect it? And yes, I'm running moter oil though it and not bar oil.

If the plug is wet after cranking it and you got fire then it should fire. Sounds like you got a coil on its way out. Most all coils tend to fail hot, not cold, before they die altoghether. If that saw starts and runs fine from cold and then dies after it heats up check for spark ASAP right after it quits, not after it cools down.

I agree with the gas cap vent if that is how this saw is vented. My Partner was doing about the same thing. It would run strong for a few minutes then as soon as you let off the gas it would die. Let it sit for a little bit and she would go again. As soon as it quits remove the gas cap and listen for air. If you hear air then you tank isn't being vented properly. If you don't hear air remove the plug, ground it and check for spark. One or the other should be an issue.

My experience with the 041 gas cap it it leaks like a sieve... never seen one block on vacuum.. but there is always a first time.

Make sure the fuel line isn't kinked in the tank - they can get this way after a few decades of swelling..

Back