044 cylinder with hole in base flange?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an 044 cylinder I picked up. It is marked Stihl 1128. However, I have never seen one like this. It has a small hole in the base of the cylinder. The hole looks manufactured. It comes out on the back side of the cylinder, right in the base of the cylinder, where the cylinder mounts to the crankcase. It is offset to the left side (when looking at it from the rear of the saw). It appears to connect into the ports of the cylinder.

What was this used for and has anyone seen one of these before?

Thanks

Tom

I havent the foggiest idea what the heck that hole is. I'm guessing some sort of early choke setup, or perhaps something else. I dont know for sure.wheres Stihltech when you need him?

fishhuntcutwood said:
I totally missed that.

Still no clue what the heck that friggin hole is. couldnt be an impulse line hookup, theres one of those on the crankcase just below the intake.

Why the hole?

That's a real good question.In going over my Stihl literature,I find no mention of,or picture of the mystery hole.In one of my micros,it makes mention of a catalytic converter[how dumb],with and injector tube.Could it possibly be the same thing as an air injector on an automobile engine?If that be the case,I have no written or picture proof of it.The repair to the mystery has been mentioned several times,good ole J and B cold weld.

Item# 14 bellows is whatconnects that hole to the auto choke.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
Good research,my man.I'll bet that version,with the auto choke,and converter was a real hit on the market :rolleyes:

stihltech said:
forget it.
the reason I would shy away from jb weld is because the hole is probably oily and you would have a hard time getting a good bond. We all saw your post, and I can say that jb weld would probably work just fine, but it is kind of a junky way to do it. why not do it properly? Instead of doing it the stihl way.

Hi
Did they ever ship the 044 C into this country? Just curios.
The bellows looks like the same design as the thermostat on my air cooled Beatle.
Later
Dan

The reason I would shy away from trying to tap that hole for a pipe plug is that it is virtually impossible to do so from the top, so the jug would have to be removed. It could then be tapped from the bottom I suppose and the plug installed and ground flush, but the plug could fall back into the crank case. No trouble to swab out the hole with q tip and cleaner. JB weld would be a good repair for this makeshift application.

"Stihl way"? Seems like some kind of an insult intended there.

once again, why not do it properly? if you can't remove four screws and pull the cylinder, then you probably won't have enough ambition to run the saw anyway. I don't understand why you can't tap it from the outside. you can use a small allen screw also, it doesn't need to be a pipe plug. anyway, I wouldn't try to put jb weld in there without removing the cylinder either. how can you tell if it is in there properly? what if a rough edge of the dried epoxy breaks off?

Back