044 cylinder with hole in base flange?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SIRCHOPALOT said:
you should thread that hole with a tap and put a screw in it. or better yet, a pipe plug.

I think you will find that the fins and nozzle project beyond the hole that you propose tapping unless you want to tap from the bottom and intall a screw or pipe plug from the crankcase side of the cylinder flange.

Is it Stihl or Stihltech that you deem worthy of insult?

OK you guys are right. just slap some jb weld in there. or better yet maybe a drywall screw and some duct tape. you could also use 5-minute epoxy so you don't have to wait very long. you could run it as soon as you get the carb back on. or you could jam your bubble gum in there and see how that works. maybe use some rubber cement and a tire plug that could work well. or how about just using a hammer an just smashing the hole shut with a few quick wacks? maybe paper mache, nah, that would take too long to dry. I know, just take a small wood dowel and some wood glue, nah that would take too long also. how about a hose clamp and a piece of old tire tube? or in case any of these don't work you can just drill the jets out and hope you can get'r to draw some fuel. hey thats it! you can just hook up a fuel line from the hole strait to the gas tank, that sucker will fly then! make sure when you do this that you mix your gas at 100:1 or more, you don't want too much of that nasty oil gittin in there and makin' a mess or worse yet, robbin' your power.

Crofter said:
I think you will find that the fins and nozzle project beyond the hole that you propose tapping

actually, I find lots of things, some of my favorites are: mushrooms, fishing holes, and money

Crofter said:
Is it Stihl or Stihltech that you deem worthy of insult?

it was supposed to be a shot at stihl, since my dislike for them and their dealer system, and inflated prices grows everyday.

epoxy

I would use the epoxy. I would pack it in and smooth it nicely so nothing protrudes out.
I have repaired many of the old 045 cylinders this way, the impulse was in the cylinder. I don't look down on epoxy any more, it is a viable repair when used correctly.
Yes, remove the cylinder to do the repair AND remove all oil residue.

SIRCHOPALOT said:
I guess if they ever get over the " we're the best and everyone else sucks syndrome" I will quit pounding them.

" we're the best and everyone else sucks syndrome"

I might say that this is your personal spin on things and you act accordingly. Faced with the same evidence, others take a different point of view. Sounds like you sure think yours is superior though! We need Glen back to give some balance! Lol!

I think if you go back over his posts for a few years, you won't find Stilltech the author of any shoddy advice, but I guess if you are determined you could try.

Everybody has their methods,some good,some not so good .I ,myself am guilty of some half fast[say that real quickly],repairs,on many things.While they might not appeal to those of whom strive for utmost perfection,they do,indeed work.Fact is,it's this mans saw,he can do what he wants with it.I suppose he could pound in a brass dowel and silver solder it,if he wanted.It really doesn't matter,if it works.Seems to be a lot of fuss over a little hole,geez.

Just do the plugging however you see fit. if it works it works. it doesnt HAVE to be absolutely perfect, you're not making swiss watches.

Crofter said:
" we're the best and everyone else sucks syndrome"

I might say that this is your personal spin on things and you act accordingly. Faced with the same evidence, others take a different point of view. Sounds like you sure think yours is superior though! We need Glen back to give some balance! Lol!

I think if you go back over his posts for a few years, you won't find Stilltech the author of any shoddy advice, but I guess if you are determined you could try.

those posts were supposed to be funny. loosen up some guys. :)

I am guilty of going overboard on repairs. probably due to the racing background. when you prep a race kart. ( I ran 250cc twins 150+mph) you tend to go a little overkill on some things. It makes a difference when a failure can cost you or someone else their life, or get badly hurt. and yes, a small air leak and a motor lockup at 150 mph is a bad thing. nothing good will ever come of it.

last time I was in the 250 I broke a spindle at the end of the strait at Mid-Ohio. probably aroud 140mph or a little more. no warning it just let go. It was a wild ride and I went all the way to the wall through the gravel pit. I thank GOD that the front end did not dig in or it could have been really bad. It was a failure due to the material and the weld. It was totally my fault, and I said nothing under my watch would ever be compromised and done improperly again. so that is why I go a little overboard.

Attention to detail is good; putting oversized links to repair a chain is not. Cost / benefit decisions are necessary in business. Oldsaw Addicts got it right; it was a chainsaw not a helicopter!

Latest posts

Back