044 Dual Port Muffler Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthTater

Keep Calm & Carry a Chainsaw
Reaction score
So I finally ordered one and it should arrive here next monday, in the mean time are their any tips you guys have on re-tuning for it etc (after Installation) to get the best performance out of it?

Pic:
H90044-2.jpg

(btw, is it just me or does the 2nd port look a tad small?)

[FYI, my goal is to get enough power to handle a 36" Bar & Full Skip Chain]

Thanks!

36" B&C is a bit tall for a muff modded 044, even with full skip. You will boost the HP up to about 5HP with the DP cover. 32" is as long as I ran on my modified 12mm wrist pin 044. You can open the cover port as well as the primary muffler port some more. The CDN Magnums have larger primary muffler openings than the US counterparts. You have to pull the carb limiters and trim the tabs off in order to re-tune a modified saw. I re-set the tabless limiters after trimming. According to the old Stihl sages on AS they help hold the tune if you re-set them. Then tune the saw like you would otherwise. Set the L & LA screws to the default settings, then set the LA and L screws with a tach, and then set the H screw so that it burples at WOT out of the wood, and cleans up in the wood. Use a tach to verify max RPM (which is really 500 RPM over published spec). I also run the saw WOT for a minute and then pull the plug to check for tan/brown color.

Also none of the stock 044 saws have a HO oil pump, so it will not keep a 36 inch bar wet. I doubt if it will even keep a 32 inch bar wet... The 440 oil pump output is 6-17cc per min. The HO output 460R will put out 24cc per min. max. But the 460 oil pump parts will not fit on a 044/440. The 441R and he 460R saws both have HO oil pumps in them, but the 044R/440R does not.

Also none of the stock 044 saws have a HO oil pump, so it will not keep a 36 inch bar wet. I doubt if it will even keep a 32 inch bar wet... The 440 oil pump output is 6-17cc per min. The HO output 460R will put out 24cc per min. max. But the 460 oil pump parts will not fit on a 044/440. The 441R and he 460R saws both have HO oil pumps in them, but the 044R/440R does not.

My 12mm 044 runs 25, 28, and 32" B&C's.
It has the stock oiler, and the 32" B&C has just enough oil with the screw turned all of the way up. I also blip the throttle once or twice after a full cut with the 32" buried , just to get it a little more wet, but the stock oiler will keep a 32" setup going.

Now, stock 044 with DP and MM - setup with a 36" ???
My 046 runs a 36", but I wouldnt try it with my 044 due to the oiler .......... my 044 is ported, so the 32" is just cake with RS and/or RM.

My 044 will barely oil a 28" bar. I have a dual port muffler on my 044 and man does it rip! You can't beat the sound either! Just wish I could get more oil out of it.

My 044 will barely oil a 28" bar. I have a dual port muffler on my 044 and man does it rip! You can't beat the sound either! Just wish I could get more oil out of it.

My 440 has a 25 inch bar most of the time and I wouldn't want any less oil!

Sent via mental telepathy

The best way to get more power out of an 044 is to get an 066/MS660 in addition to it. If someone needs to run that long of a bar, then they need a big saw to power it. I have both and wouldn't want to just have one of them.

oh now this is funny, just noticed who's amazon shop I ordered it from.

It appears to be watsonr's shop http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1NZ8W8/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

@ windthrown & Moparmyway: So a higher output oil pump would be a good idea to upgrade to then?
FYI I have no idea if she's a 12mm or 10mm.

& splitpost I'll wait and see what its like before I plan any repainting, but I will open up the stock port a bit it is a bit restrictive, might even open up the 2nd port if it's as small at the photo makes it look.

@ fearofpavement, a 460/660 is planned but not in the finances atm (that & I want to get a CM model), and all the same most of the wood I cut is pine/fir/cedar but friggin huge (Firewood), i'm just trying to cut down on having to cut the stuff on each side.

oh now this is funny, just noticed who's amazon shop I ordered it from.

It appears to be watsonr's shop http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1NZ8W8/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

@ windthrown & Moparmyway: So a higher output oil pump would be a good idea to upgrade to then?
FYI I have no idea if she's a 12mm or 10mm.

& splitpost I'll wait and see what its like before I plan any repainting, but I will open up the stock port a bit it is a bit restrictive, might even open up the 2nd port if it's as small at the photo makes it look.

That is funny... If you would have bought from the site instead of Amazon it would have been cheaper! AND I'd really like to know how that product really is, seriously. If the paint is crappy, I'm not sure how much I can effect that, but the opening is important and I'd like to know. I've not heard anybody ever say anything about this particular item except that it worked well.

Randy

Skip the 460. That's a good saw but too close to what you already have. Save up some bucks and start your search. It may take a long time. I actually think good 044s are harder to come by than the 066/660 models as quite often these don't get beat as much and they sell for about the same price too. An MS660 will be able to utilize all the bars and chains from the 044 and vs vs.

That is funny... If you would have bought from the site instead of Amazon it would have been cheaper! AND I'd really like to know how that product really is, seriously. If the paint is crappy, I'm not sure how much I can effect that, but the opening is important and I'd like to know. I've not heard anybody ever say anything about this particular item except that it worked well.

Randy

Didn't know you had them until after I had already ordered it.

I will however order a Sugi bar from you once I get up the $ for it.

Skip the 460. That's a good saw but too close to what you already have. Save up some bucks and start your search. It may take a long time. I actually think good 044s are harder to come by than the 066/660 models as quite often these don't get beat as much and they sell for about the same price too. An MS660 will be able to utilize all the bars and chains from the 044 and vs vs.

If I had had the extra $550 when I bought my 044 i could have also bought an 066Mag from the same guy, didn't have the cash though.

IF you can get the search to work there's threads on modifying the oil pump on the 44 to put out more. You can't just swap them out and I can't figure out why they didn't make it fit the 44 along with all the others.

By all means try the cover first,i only said that because the AM one i fitted to my 044 had a real thick plastic type paint which looked great till it got hot and smoked like mad bubbling up and eventually falling off leaving the metal exposed,these covers are also thinner than OEM,i now heat the ones i buy with a blow torch then beadblast ready for some high temp header flat black,of corse none of this is needed with OEM but at twice or more the price youd hope not:)

Latest posts

Back