044 flywheel ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a coil matches up to an aluminum or plastic flywheel on a 044 Stihl? Only have one coil and multiple flywheels, the coil was not mounted when I got it. Does it matter? The happier part of this problem is that I finally found a crank with good bearings.:clap:

I assume you got a crankcase with the crankshaft installed? If not, it's real important to get the right crankcase for the crank - there are two different sizes.

There is only one coil no matter the flywheel - the standard 0000 400 1300 as found on most saws from 026 -> 044, and some 064 saws.

a plastic flywheel 044? i do not recall seeing one of those. now an 046 yes. i just got home from a 9 hour night shift so i may be just drawing a blank..

Lakeside53, the crank is in the case.:biggrinbounce2: I am on my way to an 044. Do the 044 and 046 share the same part number prefix? I would not think so but I have not seen an 046 disassembled. These saw start with 1128 and all have 044 covers. Even the coil has 1128 printed on it. It looked like every other coil but this one was labeled differently so I thought I should inquire. The saw will certainly be an assemblage but that is what makes it fun. Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to this project.

NWCS, I do not know much about these plastic flywheels as this is only the third one I have come across that was not on a 066. Thank you for the input.

I think you have an 046 or ms460 case.... The 1128 prefix is common to both the 044 an 046/ The later flywheel is aluminum with "more fins" than the earlier version for better cooling. I think NWCS is correct in that the 044 never had a plastic flywheel...

What is the case part number and what is the serial number. I can track it down...

Lakeside53, here is there numbers on the case 9 1128 021 0700 STIHL S 11. Where is the serial number on these cases, other than on the inside. This was just a case nothing else, it was in a load with other cases and parts. It has a wrist pin bearing opening for a 10mm wrist pin. It looks smaller than the 440 Magnum case. The plastic flywheel was in a box labeled 044/440 and not on an actual crank. The rest of the parts seem to build up on the 044/440. Do not know for sure.

It is a moot point right now as this particular crankcase has a bad clutch side bearing. After cleaning and careful inspection it became obvious. It is missing a few balls. Jumped the gun last night because I did not expect to find that crankcase and it seemed to spin good.:rolleyes: I am getting good at removing cranks though.;)

Upside for the day, got the Lombard Wonder 650 going. I exchange one 70cc saw for another. Hopefully a 044 will be quieter.:laugh:

Are you sure it's missing a few balls or have they just moved when the cage disintegrated? You need to check the crank for run-out... some will get tweaked badly by running with the bearing case colapsed.

The serial number is on a flat non-painted area right beside the muffer on the clutch side.

I can't find any reference to 1128 021 0700 crankscase parts, new or obsolete. Are you sure that's the right number?

If it's 10mm, then it's probably the older 044.

What's the part number(s) on the back of the flywheel?

Lakeside53, the numbers on the crank case seem to be 9 1128 021 077 and the serial number looks like 12844868. Serial numbers were very faint, took some work to get them visible. The numbers on the flywheel seem to be 1128 400 1211 PA 66 6F 30. That flywheel does not fit the crank in the case but seems to fit a larger crank labeled 1128 that came out of a saw with a 440 Magnum top cover. The plastic flywheel was loose in a box so it could be off a 046/460.

The bearing cage is totally gone. So I am still looking.

Thanks for the help. Robert

Whoops! Lets try 128448668. There is an O with an X in it at the beginning. Maybe I got it right this time. Thanks again for the help. Robert

Back