044 Stihl Runs out of fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borninabarn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 1994 044 Stihl that has always served me well. It is completely stock. I use it primarily for firewood and storm cleanup mission projects. Today, during a local mission project, it acted up. I started the saw as usual and it warmed up normally. I noticed to start with that it seemed to rev up higher than normal, almost like it does when it runs out of gas. Almost immediately upon starting to cut, it stumbled and died. It acted like it ran out of gas. I tried to choke it and restart it. NADA. I pulled the air cleaner and carb. Carb was dry. Removed fuel filter and checked fuel line. It was clear. Pulled screw on carb and checked diaphram, seems normal. Reinstalled everything, refueled to 1/2 tank, and it started right up. It ran perfect for about 2 minutes and then same thing. Since I had a tree down that had to be removed, I ran the saw to the local dealer (not my reg. dealer) and they looked at it. Changed plug, pressure tested fuel line and inspected impulse hose, replaced cracked tank vent hose, and adjusted carb. The saw ran perfect and we took it out back and did some test cuts. No problems. I drove back to the jobsite and fired the saw up. We cut for about ten minutes and then saw died, just like it ran out of fuel again. Tried to restart about 20 times, nothing. Opened gas cap and topped off thinking that pickup location might be issue even though it appeared fine. Saw started right up and ran perfect for 2 minutes and then died. I tried to restart, no luck. I got to thinking that every time that I opened the gas cap that it started running again so I opened the cap and retightened. Started right up! It seems that it runs until it cannot overcome the vacuum in the tank or maybe it is collapsing the fuel line. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Next time it dies and wont restart, crack the fuel cap to let some air in see if it starts back up.

There is a new tank vent right? Call the dealer back.

I probably missed something with that big paragraph.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did discover that opening the cap allows it to run for a couple of minutes. I found that the vent hose was cracked and the vent itself was visually open. The dealer that looked at it is two hours away from home, my dealer is closed until Monday, and I need to cut firewood for myself this week while I am on vacation so.....

Ill get the ipl and manual, i need them anyway then ill send you them.

I have a 1994 044 Stihl that has always served me well. It is completely stock. I use it primarily for firewood and storm cleanup mission projects. Today, during a local mission project, it acted up. I started the saw as usual and it warmed up normally. I noticed to start with that it seemed to rev up higher than normal, almost like it does when it runs out of gas. Almost immediately upon starting to cut, it stumbled and died. It acted like it ran out of gas. I tried to choke it and restart it. NADA. I pulled the air cleaner and carb. Carb was dry. Removed fuel filter and checked fuel line. It was clear. Pulled screw on carb and checked diaphram, seems normal. Reinstalled everything, refueled to 1/2 tank, and it started right up. It ran perfect for about 2 minutes and then same thing. Since I had a tree down that had to be removed, I ran the saw to the local dealer (not my reg. dealer) and they looked at it. Changed plug, pressure tested fuel line and inspected impulse hose, replaced cracked tank vent hose, and adjusted carb. The saw ran perfect and we took it out back and did some test cuts. No problems. I drove back to the jobsite and fired the saw up. We cut for about ten minutes and then saw died, just like it ran out of fuel again. Tried to restart about 20 times, nothing. Opened gas cap and topped off thinking that pickup location might be issue even though it appeared fine. Saw started right up and ran perfect for 2 minutes and then died. I tried to restart, no luck. I got to thinking that every time that I opened the gas cap that it started running again so I opened the cap and retightened. Started right up! It seems that it runs until it cannot overcome the vacuum in the tank or maybe it is collapsing the fuel line. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
I,ve had similal problems and theres several possibilities that come to mind. Elimitate this first. Snag the filter pull it out and feel of the fuel line, if its soft you need to replace it anyway so thats one of em. You know its fuel related, start with the simple stuff. fuel line, filter,tank vent and carb. I,ve replaced the fuel line in my 460 2 times in less than 3 years and its almost got to be a fuel(as in ethanol) problem, because the original lasted over a decade.

id change the vent and all rubber hose. as precaution. rubber seems to be wear item that needs changed every 10 years or so maybe five

Thanks for all the info. I suspected that the fuel line (which is soft) may be collapsing. We did test the line with air pressure but not vacuum. I was going to replace it to make sure that it was ok but the dealer did not have one. Saw started right up and ran fine this am and after just a few minutes died again. It has to be vent or hose so a so as it stops raining/sleeting I am gonna go out to the barn and figure it out.

There is the outside chance that this gentleman has the dreaded "intermittent fire".When ignition modules start acting up,they'll do fine cold...then when they get hot....no sparky.

Definitely pursue the fuel issues first.Stihl modules have been known to act up though:monkey:...

There is the outside chance that this gentleman has the dreaded "intermittent fire".When ignition modules start acting up,they'll do fine cold...then when they get hot....no sparky.

Definitely pursue the fuel issues first.Stihl modules have been known to act up though:monkey:...

Thinking outside the box. :)

Didn't think of that since he said fuel but its possible and he said the carb was dry.

i can't add much to what has been posted as these guys seem to be covering all the bases.

i would check the ignition.

i would certainly check the fuel system with a fine toothed comb.

lastly see if the quality of you fuel is up to par. i was at one old saw-shop the other day looking for a spare 460 jug. they were swamped with chainsaw repair jobs.

the old man said bad-gas-ethanol methanol was doing a number on um recently. could have been water and other stuff in the gasoline to boot.

Almost immediately upon starting to cut, it stumbled and died. It acted like it ran out of gas. I tried to choke it and restart it.

This sounds like the same problem I've posted here about my 028. After about 1/2 tank of gas, it starts acting like it's starved for fuel. I let it sit overnight and can cut about 10-15 minutes before it starts to fail again. I changed the vent hose as someone here suggested and thought the problem was fixed. Nope, still failing after warming up. The Stihl dealer I ended up taking it to checked compression, fine, carb, fine, fuel line, fine, filter, fine, exhaust, fine, gas, fine. The mechanic called his tech rep in Dallas (I think) with the symptoms and they diagnosed it with a problem with vacuum in the lower "jug" not being consistently strong enough to keep the carb vacuum from delivering enough fuel. IOW, when it became warmed up, the vacuum pressure to the carb failed. Not wanting to spend any more money to diagnosis the problem, I took them at their word. Wish I knew for sure cause I sure like my 028 but with what they would charge to fix it I could buy a new CS.

This sounds like the same problem I've posted here about my 028. After about 1/2 tank of gas, it starts acting like it's starved for fuel. I let it sit overnight and can cut about 10-15 minutes before it starts to fail again. I changed the vent hose as someone here suggested and thought the problem was fixed. Nope, still failing after warming up. The Stihl dealer I ended up taking it to checked compression, fine, carb, fine, fuel line, fine, filter, fine, exhaust, fine, gas, fine. The mechanic called his tech rep in Dallas (I think) with the symptoms and they diagnosed it with a problem with vacuum in the lower "jug" not being consistently strong enough to keep the carb vacuum from delivering enough fuel. IOW, when it became warmed up, the vacuum pressure to the carb failed. Not wanting to spend any more money to diagnosis the problem, I took them at their word. Wish I knew for sure cause I sure like my 028 but with what they would charge to fix it I could buy a new CS.

New crank seals aren't hard to fix. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back