048 av ign problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taxidermist

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I changed my ignition in my o48av to a part # 0000 400 1300 and now it starts but wont peak out and backfires thru the intake? would this saw also have the 2 key slots on the flywheel like the 064 and 066?

Thank you,
Rob

Why did you replace the ignition? Did it have points? Did it have the S.E.M.
ignition?

I am not familiar with this model, but I will try to help.

I replaced it because the saw was hard to start and then if you ran it for a while and shut it off it would not start. I have had this problem with a js 2171 and a partner cut off saw and both replaced the coil and ran great. I have checked the part number a few times and it is the right number however the coils look different. I read a post on some larger stihls having 2 key ways for different coils. This saw is not with me right now so I cant just take it apart to see if it has two key ways.

I would put the old ignition back on, and see what it does. Pull the muffler
and look at the piston, and see what it looks like. I doubt that the ignition
was the original problem, could be, but I doubt it.

I would suggest you go back to square 1 and start over.

Allready did all that and all is good. The old coil was the problem I am sure of that. Just cant get it to peak out and stop back firing with new one. It fires it right away with new coil but acts like a chevy 350 v8 with the dist. one tooth off.

Lakeside,

Hop in. The water is fine!!!

I am not familiar with this model. Any difference in the flywheels? 2 keyways? The ipl shows a different flywheel for the generator version.

Just a straight swap for the S.E.M. coil to the 029 coil?

im still on the hunt for a service manual, if someone can help me get a hardcopy i can make a pdf to pass around....

Ive got a hard copy of the service manual if I can help some way. My printer/scanner is on the fritz right now so I cant scan anything to send you.

Let me know if I can be of some help to you.

Back