048av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My mechanic has a Stihl 048AV, it looks to be in pretty good shape. It runs and cuts. Said he might part with it for $125.
Deal or no deal? I have a couple older AV saws, but I have never seen the 048.

I have seen a few of the 048 saws, in non running condition, sell for more than $125 on Ebay. The only saw that parts will interchange with is the late model 042, which is getting just as rare as the 048. Some of the parts from the early model 042 will also interchange, but there a lot that will not. Here is my Early 042 that I have torn down for a complete rebuild. The front AV buffers are NLA and almost impossible to find.

attachment.php

If you don't want it let me know. I have been looking for one for a while now. Ever since the first one I rebuilt and foolishly sold I've been looking for one to replace it.

If you don't want it let me know. I have been looking for one for a while now. Ever since the first one I rebuilt and foolishly sold I've been looking for one to replace it.

He said he'd be calling me to let me know whether it is for sale or not, I believe it belonged to his uncle who is now in his 80's and no longer uses the saw.

Sounds like the sum of the parts might exceed the sum of the saw.......

Here mine that I restored. I got lucky and an AS member here had the parts I needed. For the purist, this saw is not 100% authetic 048. The original tank/handle was busted, and it came with a replacement, which turned out to be for a 042. The only difference is in the way the air filter cover attaches. An 048 should attach with one screw on each side, not the single twist latch in the middle.

536600522_8i4CM-M.jpg

536600495_F6sj2-M.jpg

536600761_hfCJN-M.jpg

536600785_nWxZW-M.jpg

536600940_GkDsQ-M.jpg

536600791_unAS9-L.jpg

For $125 runs & cuts fine I'd say go for it. Yes, parts can be tough to come by as it had a short production run many moons ago. But I wouldn't let it stop me. Fantastic saw, lots of grunt, great sound. I have an 048 Super and one project that I really need to assess one of these days.
attachment.php

Not as pretty as Brad's, mine earn's it's keep.:hmm3grin2orange:

i have 2, 048 and 1 ,042 .to go through. i hope they look as good . kenny

You mean they can get any higher... Talk about unobtainium!!!

See if we can't throw a lil' more fuel on the fire.....:chainsawguy:
attachment.php

Here's my 048S at the top of her game wearing 24" B/C eatin' some nice sugar maple.

Dont under estimate a 048 because its a older saw. Some parts are still available through dealer. They are heavy in my opinion but run and cut like nothing else. Don't let this one slip by if possible. Trust me! She'll cut!!!

048 hp

what is the hp of a 048.i have seen numbers 5.1 to 6.0 hp ? thanks .k

Latest posts

Back