050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to say wrong crank. I'll take pics tonight. One should be slightly larger than the other side. But yours has a huge step on one side and nothing on the other. I'm guessing that's an 050 crank with the old roller bearing style bearings. Yours should have a step on either side. One slightly larger than the other. A quick search on the bay should confirm the pic. Like I said I have plenty if you need one. I'll ship it out tonight if you want. B

Maybe a little more light on the subject..., or at least another angle to contemplate, or not. Seems like which bearing approach is gonna be required will depend on the case unless the bore is the same for both the roller and ball bearing application, thereby allowing interchanging the older style crank with with a newer style crank. Haven't looked that far into it yet, but will dig a little deeper later.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-early-stihl-050-with-roller-bearings.147145/

wait the 075 looks like my crank too, but the illustrated bearing (7) doesn't look like it will fit aaargh

I took another 075 crankcase with the piston and cylinder on it and decided to split it to get the crank and just find another crank later. Well of course the piston is frozen in the cylinder and soaking for 12 hours in PB blaster did nothing, so I cant split the case - chicken farts!!
I tried a little gentle persuasion with a few tools and managed to break a cooling fin. I am just full of success on this today :)
Dave
Also is raining again for the 28th of the last 30 days here.
I did manage to get a bunch of parts ordered from Kevin at customchainsawparts.
6 buffer sets
5 full wrap handlebars
some muffler covers and asst bits

I still need the small side AV mount for the full wrap handle if anyone has a lead on where to pick up a handful.

Check the case half for the bearing bore size and start comparing bearing sizes in the IPL's. That crank certainly appears to be designed for the roller bearing approach and would obviously need a corresponding case half to properly fit. Maybe the roller bearing is indeed what you need and the illustrations are just nuts.

I decided I'm going to start powder coating all rebuilds from now on. I figure I can start up for under 1000$. I'll make that back on 3 saws and like everyone says, a beautiful saw will sell. Should have all my stuff in under a week. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing!

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-first-attempt-at-porting-with-pics.282993/

this is the beginning of me splitting a really stuck crankcase, cylinder that I plan to use the crank out of

Poge is dead on - the crank I had planned to use is from an early 050, splitting the other case allowed me to compare the cranks and a modern 075 crank (modern, dave? really? ) is different.

Finally got the jug off and case split, removed the bearings from the crank and.....

IMG_7528_zpscnjutp94.jpg

Oh wait let me clean it up a little

IMG_7529_zps189szl7x.jpg

BALLS!!!!!

I will take you up on that spare crank, I have a care package headed your way as well.
Dave

I got some new 051/075 literature today.
My old grumpy guy called to say he had pulled some old stuff out of the back for me and had some IPLs.
Well he had a bunch of boxes of S-10/08S, 030/31/32 and TS350/510 stuff. He had just taken in an old David Bradley Model 5 and he had a couple of the big 4" binders of tech stuff and a pile of NOS service manuals.
One of the Service manuals is for the 051/076 and there are a lot of tech bulletins I didn't have before :)
My inner saw nerd is so happy :)
Also a pair of photographic engine failure analysis manuals which are awesome.
I grabbed a few NOS Poulan hard nose bars, a Big heavily engraved Oregon bar a pair of 18" pico Stihl NOS bars and some parts from his drawers for a few guys (all homie stuff).

Very coo, mang. Be more than happy to photocopy and convert the additional docs to PDF now that I have a relatively established process and a decent PDF creator/merge program for the task.

So about an old Mac 850 project I asked ya to check if he may jes happen to have sittin' in a box out back? :)

some 075 scannage for your perusal
the 075 IPL is different from the others I have seen and I am giddy with a few of the other pieces as well
Dave

well hang on they are too big as PDFs I have to shrink them
BRB

This is a photographic guide to why your saw died by checking the piston, rings and cylinder.

Attachments

• Engine Failure Analysis Manual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back