050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread plenty of great info passed around i have an 075 mine has the manual oiler and the oil tank filler cap is on top of the case i also sorsed a parts saw witch i aquired it was an 076 im hoping to use the oiler side of the spare case to repair the 075 when its time to rebuild the 075 has a chunk of case missing witch doesent effect the running of the saw i will check the numbers on both cases to make shore they fit.

Absolute credit to the OP, i love these series of saws and have the 041-050-051-075 and now completed it with this parts 076 super i want to get going again.
But whats the story behing my ignition system i have the donut shaped ignition, yet i have a hole on the AV mount? Also what is this coil? it only has a wire going to the on/off switch and nothing else, so were do the two wires coming of the ignition GO?
It was sent party dismantled so am struggling to figure out how the ignition the previous owner had worked? this coil doesnt have a transister inside? does it?

Many thanks guys

You look to have the ignition module (1111 400 1303) which does not require an external trigger unit.
Previous ignition systems consisted of a coil and trigger unit. Stihl updated their crankcases before they updated their ignitions, hence, why your crankcase can accomodate the donut trigger or one mounted on the av mount.
In this case the donut trigger unit was likely faulty rather than the original coil but instead of getting a different trigger unit he replaced the coil with the module. Since you have to remove the flywheel to discard that trigger unit it likely just got left there.

You look to have the ignition module (1111 400 1303) which does not require an external trigger unit.
Previous ignition systems consisted of a coil and trigger unit. Stihl updated their crankcases before they updated their ignitions, hence, why your crankcase can accomodate the donut trigger or one mounted on the av mount.
In this case the donut trigger unit was likely faulty rather than the original coil but instead of getting a different trigger unit he replaced the coil with the module. Since you have to remove the flywheel to discard that trigger unit it likely just got left there.

So are you saying this new coil has an inbuilt trigger? Or will I need to run an ignition module? It's just strange because the coil hasn't got any cut wires were a module would have been used!
Thanks for your help

1111 400 1303 is not a coil, it is a module i.e. it is "all inclusive", you wouldn't need a separate trigger. It is currently the suggested replacement part as per Stihl.
Depending on what spare parts and case you already have it may be cheaper just to buy and mount an external trigger like 1118 400 1001 (you would have to get one from ebay etc as nla from Stihl, various aftermarket availabilities also) on one of the coil screws and use with a coil you already have or if you have the beefed up AV mount like shown above; drill and tap a hole there to mount a trigger.

For reference what model is it and any chance of a picture of the case?

Also I don't think the 1111 400 1303 module on ebay from cheapchainsawparts is actually what is says. The mounting holes are wrong, looks more like the 1118 400 1305 coil used on a 028.

I hope to continue the thread once I can find out some more about the alleged early 076 trigger units.:bang:

Thanks for the clarification on the 1111 400 1303. I didn't realize that and have been trying to use one (I think) with an external trigger. I bought off ebay for $45.00. There are more listed. I will work on on them some more tomorrow.

Trever

TS 760 to 076

Just wondering if anyone here has converted a TS760 into an 076 chainsaw. It looks like it could be done rather easy. The cases I think are the same so I know I will need to install the oiler but is there any other things that would need to be address. WOW I have too many irons in the fire right now with these old mag saws.

Working on finishing one now. I have ignition issues to work out and then it will ready to go. Dang near new OEM everything in that saw! This great thread has answered a few questions that I had. I will play around with it tomorrow when I heli- coil some exhaust threads on my 075. Here are some part numbers for the TS 760 case I am using.View attachment 256361View attachment 256362

Thanks for the clarification on the 1111 400 1303. I didn't realize that and have been trying to use one (I think) with an external trigger. I bought off ebay for $45.00. There are more listed. I will work on on them some more tomorrow.

Trever

Yep as I suspected due to my ignorance, the coil I bought that was supposed to be a 1111 400 1303 coil is another 1111 400 1305 aftermarket coil. No worries, it will work out.

Trever

Ts760

Here is the TS 760 to a 076 Super almost completed. I am using the HS-60D carb that has the governor blocked. Still working out some ignition issues; weak spark.

So are you saying this new coil has an inbuilt trigger? Or will I need to run an ignition module? It's just strange because the coil hasn't got any cut wires were a module would have been used!
Thanks for your help

Unfortunately different names often get used for the different components, leading to confusion.
According to Stihl;

These are (external) trigger units

attachment.php

Ignition coils require (external) trigger units as they do not contain transistors etc. There were two ignition coils used on the 075/076 saws;
1111 400 1305 (used on 075)
attachment.php

1111 400 1301 (used on 076/076 super)
attachment.php

In contrast, the 1111 400 1303 ignition module (not pictured) has all the necessary circuitry internally without the need for a trigger unit. This is what you have and are calling the "new coil".

slightly confused, I always thought the 075/076 came with the manual oiler button, and the 051 didn't have the manual oiler,. ....so i figured this saw must be a 051 seeing there is No manual oiler ....and the seller of the saw didn't know until he recently claims to have found the original top name plate? and it says 076 ...... so did the 076 actually come without the Manual oiler earlier in there production run?? What do you guys think?? is it a 076 without a manual oiler ???

Is there a way to tell a 076 from a 051 visually? I would just measure the jug, but i can't unless i buy it. lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
051/076

Your saw might be an 051 case with a 075/076 cylinder. The 075 and 076 have cylinder studs that run the entire length of the cylinder. The 051 does not. It uses bolts at the cylinder's base. Look at the top (spark plug end). I hope this helps out.

Trever

I have one that has the cover that identifies it as an 051, however it does have the manual oiler.

So, has this saw had the cover switcheroo, or is there some remote possibility that some version of the 051 had a manual oiler?

One day I will look at the saw a little closer, but I was hoping someone would know.

I have one that has the cover that identifies it as an 051, however it does have the manual oiler.

So, has this saw had the cover switcheroo, or is there some remote possibility that some version of the 051 had a manual oiler?

One day I will look at the saw a little closer, but I was hoping someone would know.

I`m no expert, but the 051 IPLs I have seen have no manual oiler option, and the 076 IPLs I have seen have the manual oiler as standard equipment.

slightly confused, I always thought the 075/076 came with the manual oiler button, and the 051 didn't have the manual oiler,. ....so i figured this saw must be a 051 seeing there is No manual oiler ....and the seller of the saw didn't know until he recently claims to have found the original top name plate? and it says 076 ...... so did the 076 actually come without the Manual oiler earlier in there production run?? What do you guys think?? is it a 076 without a manual oiler ???

Is there a way to tell a 076 from a 051 visually? I would just measure the jug, but i can't unless i buy it. lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

It is more likely that the top cover is from another saw, than that an 076 was made without a manual oiler....:msp_wink:

Last edited:
It is more likely that the top cover is from another saw, that that an 076 was made without a manual oiler....:msp_wink:

yeah a 076 without a manual oiler makes no sense at all, the guy selling it had a hissy fit and isn't cooperating anymore, lol. after i asked for better pics and told him its more than likely a 051 ....he's trying to pawn it as 076 i would guess. I can't see a 076 coming from the factory without a manual oiler, and this saw looks original... hes not willing to help confirm one way or another.

My first 075 I bought (EBAY) ended up being an 051. It was my first 1111 series saw. The saw had an 075 nameplate. All 075 and 076 saws originally came with both oilers. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible to find a 050 or 051 case with a 075/076/TS760 cylinder on it. The 050 and 051 saws never had a manual oiler.

Also, 051 and 075 saws did have side oil caps instead of being on top towards the end of their productions.

Trever

95% completed and running

Working on finishing one now. I have ignition issues to work out and then it will ready to go. Dang near new OEM everything in that saw! This great thread has answered a few questions that I had. I will play around with it tomorrow when I heli- coil some exhaust threads on my 075. Here are some part numbers for the TS 760 case I am using.View attachment 256361View attachment 256362

Here is my converted TS 760 to a 076 Super. Both oilers work great and really throw the oil! You should be able to see the puddle under the saw where I pumped the manual oiler. The saw was idling in these pics. Great compression with a new chain brake clutch cover (not in the pics) to go on it!
Will saw some poplar sometime next week with it. You have to use the above crank case part number and I think this is a Brazilian TS 760 crank case as well. I will have to double check that.

Great thread with some good info.

Been a lot of good info on the ignition setups.
Can anyone do a driect comparo on the 3 flywheels??? Points with windows, early electronic with no windows, and the later pawl flywheel. Compare Diameters and magnet positions etc??

The later module coils do not work with the early flywheels, is that right??
But the seperate module ignitons will work on a points flywheel???

Also theres been no info on oil pump drives. Large, small, 7 tooth, 8 tooth and pin vs tab.
Very interested to know whats what and if any of it is interchangeable.

I have both here.
Pin drive in a small hole.

Then nothing in a big hole in the other case.

Cheers, Bob.

Great thread this one, well worth to dig it up again. :)
I finished a 051AV project this WE ; it's an early version with points ignition. I got it rather cheap from a guy that tried to rebuilt it, but gave up when he broke a ring and couldn't find a decomp for it. Even had a brand new chain for it.

Other than a new set of rings and a decomp plug (from an 076), nothing else was needed. Turned out to be a very nice, strong running saw but very tough on the hands for starting. Does anyone know if decomps for these saws still can be had ? Couldn't find one on the bay so far.....

051AVd_zpsf38045bc.jpg

051AVb_zps212ad299.jpg

Last edited:
Back