050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How hard are the chainbrakes to find for these saws? I would love to get my hands on one for mine.

I have a few chain brakes. I mostly mill so I only really need one. I might be inclined to part with one. One is used and the other is NOS and I think it's still in the bag. with the needed parts also.

The chop saw version was actually a chainsaw conversion according to an old-time Stihl dealer I've doing some part-time wrenching for lately. Had the oiler that was simply not used with the cut-off setup. Supposedly different filtration options including the taller filter style and the cutter attachment somehow integrated with the clutch spline?
Interesting specimen either way! Cool score.

Says he has one out in his storage building, btw. I'll see if I can talk him into hauling it out for a look-see and maybe a pic or two, though something tells me it's buried under a mass of other magnesium and who knows what else.

Very cool!! I talked to a guy on the west coast today that literally has truckloads of 045/056 parts. We pay top dollar for a single piece and these guys buy by the ton! I should have never left the west coast!!!

The 045/056 are fairly common and can be had for 70$ +/- Open the up and clean all the crud out. Make sure you have a 13 coil spring and they operate smooth as silk. The 076 chain brakes are the tough ones to find. Somewhere in WA and Oregon there's a mountain of them, lol

I've got 4 056 chainbrakes, three of them are going into saws eventually.
I find when I open the up there so much crud baked on it doesn't allow the cams to work smooth. Also common to have the wrong spring which enevtually bends the actuating arm (to the hand guard) and makes operation difficult. If you buck a lot on a landing I really suggest having the brake. As you know as soon as you hit the upper part of the sprocket to the log that saws coming up quick!!

The 045/056 are fairly common and can be had for 70$ +/- Open the up and clean all the crud out. Make sure you have a 13 coil spring and they operate smooth as silk. The 076 chain brakes are the tough ones to find. Somewhere in WA and Oregon there's a mountain of them, lol
A few are hidden in my basement.

Any one have a part number or spare seal with the dog ear on it. Dealer gave me a new one but it doesn't have the dog ear and I don't know if it will work. Any suggestions?oil pump seal.image.jpg

I'm getting bar oil in the case and replaced small o ring but can't find a match for the upper seal. Can a bad upper seal even cause that problem.

I've ordered the dog eared one before. I just can't find the number for it. 076 oiler.jpgThe one I did that had a bad oring, it was all completely gone. I had one with a bad case gasket causing oil to get into the crank. I think I could see bubbles coming from the seam through the oil fill hole.

Latest posts

Back