.050 or .058 guage chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to buy a 20" bar and chain for my 372xp and the dealer said that i can get a windsor bar and chain in either .050 or .058 guage. Is there any advantage running the .058 chain. what are your opinions. thanks

My 372 came from the factory with the .058, But I would rather have the .050 like Epic says because it is a more common size. Especially if you prefer to run the Stihl chains. Around here you have to order the .058 in Stihl chain as it is not stocked by the local dealer.

Husky is even a bigger PITA than Stihl, as their saws can come in either
.050, or .058, with no apparent rationale. If they would all just stick with .050, life would be much better for everyone, same for 3/8.

It is likely a conspiracy, teutonic in origin, to take over the world............

Again...............................

See, whats gives me fits is .063 is more stocked around here. Im slowly trying to convert all of my b/c combos to .050. They have .050 stuff, but .063 is the better selection around here. I agree, wish they would find a common and stick with it.

its really funny comparing ROW preferances...

over here, no one uses .050 unless its 3/8 LP or .325

we use 73LG / 75LG, none of this LP DP stuff

for every 1000 rolls of LG, maybe someone will by a roll of LP or DP

for every 1000 rolls of 73 / 75, maybe someone will ask about 72...

The loggers here prefer LG because its a lighter faster chain. But in saying that, I cant understand why if weight was an issue they dont go for .050 :dizzy:

Some competitors will run a .058 chain on a .063 bar; saying it has less drag and friction. I ran a loop of .058 Carlton square chisel chain of a .063 bar a couple of years ago to check it out; and it really flew. Did not try to jump the bar or cause any other problems. I used it in the woods too with good results. Not sure I'd recommend it to everyone; but, I had fun with it.:cheers:

Hey Texas, would the .008 differance between .058 and .050 be to much to do the same with these sizes? Would it be to much play on the sprocket?

Back