056 Magnum II , help with new chain please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,
Have been trying with no success to replace an old chain on my 056 II.The problem is I just cannot no matter how hard I try make the chain go the distance, no matter how I poke and prod the chain seems 2 or 3 links to short.out of frustration I went to put the old chain back on and now it seems to short:mad::mad:.There is obviously something I am missing.In hind sight I remember the stihl dealer actually fitted the bar and chain so I cant even claim to of ever made it work although I have put plenty of chains on chainsaws prior and never had a problem, its usually not rocket science.
Any help much appreciated, it s getting cold and that firewood doesn't cut itself:chainsaw::givebeer:

Hi Gentlemen,
Have been trying with no success to replace an old chain on my 056 II.The problem is I just cannot no matter how hard I try make the chain go the distance, no matter how I poke and prod the chain seems 2 or 3 links to short.out of frustration I went to put the old chain back on and now it seems to short:mad::mad:.There is obviously something I am missing.In hind sight I remember the stihl dealer actually fitted the bar and chain so I cant even claim to of ever made it work although I have put plenty of chains on chainsaws prior and never had a problem, its usually not rocket science.
Any help much appreciated, it s getting cold and that firewood doesn't cut itself:chainsaw::givebeer:

standard 3003 mount bar/chain setup. 72 DL for 20" 84 DL for 25" 3/8 chain

Are you putting the chain over the clutch first? If not there's your problem.

Assuming you know how to put a bar and chain on a saw, if your chain is a few drive links short, count them and have u'r dealer add a few links, or buy a new chain

lots of great advice so far but if none of that works try this. Run chain adjuster as far back as it will go then slip bar off chain tension stud and slide it still in the bar grove until bar tail almost touches drive sprocket walk chain onto bar then gently pull bar forward and slip it back on to chain tension stud. hope this helps.

Hi Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies
Here's the thing ,chain tensioner is wound all the way back so it is as close to the sprocket as possible,i have the bar actually touching the sprocket and still no joy and this is with the chain that was previously on it.Yes I have placed the chain on the inside of the clutch prior to starting out.I have even tried putting the chain and bar on the inside of the sprocket,this allows me to get the chain around the bar but of course I cannot get the chain back around the sprocket.If I wasn't trying with the original chain I would simply say that the chain was to short but considering this was originally on the saw that is not an option.

Ok, forget what was on the saw, what bar do you have? Is the drive link count marked on the bar? If so, how many drive links do the chains you have contain? If your chains appear to be too short, maybe they're actually too short.

Latest posts

Back