064 blocking air filter too quick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Stihl 064/066/ms660 ever ran some form of air pre filter? I’m running a later model filter housing and HD2 on my 064 and it blocks the filter up so bad in half a tank It’ll barely turn the chain. Pull filter off and knock the majority of dust out and it runs fine for a couple of cuts but it’s not really usable. Chain is sharp, cutting the same wood compared to my 024 and ms381 it blocks way way faster. Any ideas?

What wood are you cutting that creates that much dust? I can cut oak or cedar for an hour with any of my saws and barely have a couple chips in my filter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What wood are you cutting that creates that much dust? I can cut oak or cedar for an hour with any of my saws and barely have a couple chips in my filter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Dry yellow box, white box and Blakey’s red gum. Hard, dense timber. But none of my other saws have an issue
is the inside of the saw around the cylinder full of sawdust causing the filter to get plugged every time you run it?
Not really, I can’t see it shedding that much dust either. Maybe I should give it a thorough clean then try it. There is actually a small piece missing off the bottom of the clutch cover though where a broken Chain hit it - that probably wouldn’t help but could it be causing the issue to this extent? I’ll swap it out abs see maybe...

Every stihl I have serviced has had some type or form of a chip prefilter \ insert, if it is missing it can cause your filter to get covered quickly when cutting very dry wood or at angles that result in chips directed back at your hands. A short bar on a powerful saw can cause chip buildup that the chain cannot remove fast enough. Very hard wood will generate more dust even using a moderately sharp chain, are the rakers/depth teeth set properly for proper chip size?

Does anyone know if Stihl 064/066/ms660 ever ran some form of air pre filter? I’m running a later model filter housing and HD2 on my 064 and it blocks the filter up so bad in half a tank It’ll barely turn the chain. Pull filter off and knock the majority of dust out and it runs fine for a couple of cuts but it’s not really usable. Chain is sharp, cutting the same wood compared to my 024 and ms381 it blocks way way faster. Any ideas?
Earlier ones had a felt type band that covered the pleated filter material, and was easily brushed off.
Or
Make an outer sock out of silk / microfiber material to go over it, takes out the rough bits and smaller stuff, easily brushed off, but the fine stuff still gets thru and eventually blocks the filter.

Couple things to consider. Run the saw without the filter cover, just run the nut down on the filter. Or, buy a maxflow filter setup.
Wouldn’t running with no cover make it worse? Have been thinking about a max flow set up, but it’s an expensive option as I’d have to get it from Overseas. Also, I can’t believe I need to go aftermarket to get a working filter - other 066/064/ms660s don’t have this problem here, nor do my other saws
Every stihl I have serviced has had some type or form of a chip prefilter \ insert, if it is missing it can cause your filter to get covered quickly when cutting very dry wood or at angles that result in chips directed back at your hands. A short bar on a powerful saw can cause chip buildup that the chain cannot remove fast enough. Very hard wood will generate more dust even using a moderately sharp chain, are the rakers/depth teeth set properly for proper chip size?
Ok that’s interesting- what sort of pre filter - like a mesh screen in the cover? There’s no build up in the cover, and it doesn’t feel overly dusty when I’m cutting, the filter just clogs surprisingly quick. I can cut for a couple of tanks with the others without issue.

Yes I’m sure it’s not a chain issue - same sharpening style, method and tools as every other saw and chain that has worked for me without issue for the last 20 years

Those aussie woods are a trip. Make our oaks look like softwood.
Yeah - people that haven’t worked them don’t get it. Most of them don’t even float!

Earlier ones had a felt type band that covered the pleated filter material, and was easily brushed off.
Or
Make an outer sock out of silk / microfiber material to go over it, takes out the rough bits and smaller stuff, easily brushed off, but the fine stuff still gets thru and eventually blocks the filter.
I’ve thought about trying some stocking, but I’m using the house off a later 066 and an HD2 filter (just bought a another new one)

Actually I read about these a while ago then forgot about them, they look good. I might send them a message and see about postage
I know that they are primary business is race cars ( dirt track ) so they could potentially be set up already for shipping to Australia. But if they can't there might be a similar company around you.

I’ve thought about trying some stocking, but I’m using the house off a later 066 and an HD2 filter (just bought a another new one)

Got any photos of the later 066 setup and your HD2?
If using the older all in one 066 flat top air box, they do not tend to seal the HD2 as well as the newer plastic 066 air box- the one with the black plastic mesh frontage, alloy spigot, plastic oval inside the filter, HD2 and then covered by the 0000 141 0300 pre filter.
If that does not do it for you- use what @trains suggested. Then ask @rogue60 for some chain filing hints- he knows more about filing for your wood than most others ever will, I'm not saying your chains are dull- just any advantage you can get with that concrete wood is a good advantage!

Do all the housing parts match up properly? On my 066 I just shake out the felt pre-filter every tank or two of mix. Takes quite a while for the filter to clog up if you keep the pre-filter clean

I am running a HD2, no prefilter, no problems.
The other 064, I actually found a older filter for a 088 that works pretty well.
That was my thought... fines from the chain. Not sharp enough? Thankfully the other fella's answered my question, funky really hard wood!!!

The best answer would be to run a different saw, that had the air from the flywheel setup.

the Max Flow that I removed from a 064 was NOT doing the job. There was a LOT of gunk in the carburetor, and back up the impulse line.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I’m pretty sure I’ve discovered the problem - (after deye223 nailed it out anyway) the damaged clutch cover is funnelling chips/dust straight at the intake. I’ll be swapping it out also modding the cover a bit to pull cleaner air in.

You can also try Frogzskins. They are stick on ventilated screens one can add to an airbox. Unsure if available in Oz or not.

They will strangely enough change the airflow direction in the airbox and keep the filter cleaner for longer. I have had first hand experience with them going just that. It’s kind like how a fully exposed element won’t get clogged vs a covered one.

Back