064 clutch problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Backround:
Bought an older west coast logging saw from an aquaintance maybe a year and a half ago. Looks a little rough, has great compression and runs/cuts great.

This spring, started having problems with chain running when it shouldn't. Pulled clutch drum, clutch shoes/springs look good, replaced drum/bearing. (warped?) Solved the problem at the time.

Went to use saw about a month ago, same problem. pulled clutch drum, found a broken clutch spring. Ordered a set of three and changed them (without removing shoes). Solved the problem.

Went to use the saw to flush cut a stump yesterday, same thing again. I suspect another broken spring. Any chance there's a burr on the back side of a shoe cutting/breaking a spring? The clutch looks good, doen't have exessive wear as far as I can tell.

You may have excessively worn shoes - not the outside, but where they meet the central spider, and, the holes where the springs attach may be elongated. The Spider is likely worn also..

Thanks Lakeside, looked at all that last time and it's pretty good. I'm an idiot though. Guess what I found when I took it apart?

Lost the clip that holds everything together. Clutch bearing, washer, and clip and I'm back in business.

Back