064 or 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
I have a 064 or 066 that is missing the model plate. I believe it is a 66 but I would like to know for sure. It has a semei transparent fuel tank and has the magnum sticker on the filter cover. One of the local dealers aid the surefire way to tell is by the comp release. He said the 64's never had them. What is everyone elses opinion.

Bill

stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
La Difference

Without them side by side it can be tough to tell. Newer 64 has cartridge filter, older style has flat filter. 066 has a wider stance than a 64.
064 uses an output hose on the oiler, the 66 does not, only a drilled passage.

dozerdan

dozerdan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bill
None of the 064s had a compression release on them,unless someone like Ken or I installed one.They didn't make an 064 magnum.
Later
Dan

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 064AV and it has no compression release but it has been a very good saw to me for the past 10 years my father bought it and then I got it when I turned 16 and have been using it since..Great saw none the less,I think thats why my dad gave it up because it had no comp release.I agree w/stihltech my 064 does have the flat filter.

Later Rob.

Jacob J.
<p>064= no compression release, flat-top air filter and top covers only, single-outlet muffler, orange metal filter base only, no "red light" option ( though it did come with a rev-limiting module, like the red light 066 did, part #1122 400 1303, works only with the 1122 400 1203 flywheel), plus everything else mentioned previously. I believe this is the second such post about the differences between 066 and 064 saws.<p/>

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Well that answers my question.

The dealer was right then if it has a comp release then it is a 66. He was telling me that the 64 had a little more power without the compression release.He has had guys come in with 66's plugged thinking they could raise the compression. Unless I have missed something (which happens often) the only way that would work is if the head was milled the same as a 64 or if the release was leaking.

Bill

Latest posts