064 stihl hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANesler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a stihl 064 that is very hard to start, usually takes fuel dumped in the carb to get it running. Once it's running runs great no issues after that. I have replaced All fuel lines and impulse hoses. Has great compression. also a after market ignition coil. Any ideas what am I missing

Only when it's cold. Metering screws seam to be adjusted correct. Idles great. And runs awesome when it's starts. I will try a carb rebuild. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misssing something obvious. Thanks for the help

When you put the new carb kit in, spray some carb cleaner down the needle seat hole and blow it out with air. Make sure to pull the jet and clean and blow out that spot too. If contaminants are in there they can block fuel and you will continue to have problems.

Replace the pickup body (fuel filter) if you haven't already. Empty and blow out the fuel tank and get as much loose debris out of there as you can.

Cleaned the carb and it did start I it's own with out dumping fuel in the carb. . I will try after a few days and see how is doing. But I now think its got a intake leak it. Adjusted a little rich to get it were it runs good

Could be the throttle rod is not opening up the fast idle far enough when at choke. I had just the opposite problem -- the throttle rod at fast idle set it almost at WOT, so I had to bend back a tad. This saw is sensitive, but when you get it right, it runs like a bat out of h--l.

p.s. Wish it had a decomp. My arm and shoulder are worn out.

Sigh.... To be a teen again............
Started the saw today again after sitting a little over a day and fired up after the second pull. I was wondering about the high idle never noticed it catching. May have been an issue as well. Hmmm. 15 years of wrenching and still don't know it all. Guess I'll file this one away. Thanks again to everyone for the advice. This site has been great

Started the saw today again after sitting a little over a day and fired up after the second pull. I was wondering about the high idle never noticed it catching. May have been an issue as well. Hmmm. 15 years of wrenching and still don't know it all. Guess I'll file this one away. Thanks again to everyone for the advice. This site has been great
I have worked on an 066 that refused to hold a fast idle. The switch rod seems OK but it just plain will not hold any fast idle position after a choke. Others have reported this problem. When that occurs, cold starting is a gorilla because you have to manually hold the throttle open during the pull. These carbs need some throttle to start cold. The 064 will hold the fast idle position, but on occasion the throttle rod is bent too far back.

Latest posts

Back