066 air filter changes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skooks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all: I just picked up a used 066 and noticed that it has a slightly different air filter system than my older 066. The older model has a wire-cage filter with a foam insert. The newer saw has a coregated wire-cage filter with no foam insert. Both have a felt band over the outside. Why design is newer and does one work better than the other?

Thanks,

Don.

The newer 066s & 660s have a plastic baffle over the carb that keeps spit back fuel from getting into the air filter, whereas the older used the foam insert to accomplish the same goal. I've run my 660 in all combinations of baffle/foam, and haven't noticed one that's better than another. Maybe Lakeside can give some good input.

Hey tim!!!!

The newer 066s & 660s have a plastic baffle over the carb that keeps spit back fuel from getting into the air filter, whereas the older used the foam insert to accomplish the same goal. I've run my 660 in all combinations of baffle/foam, and haven't noticed one that's better than another. Maybe Lakeside can give some good input.

Yeah but your 660 isnt normal,,,, Is It?????? LOL :rock: :rock:

How the summer job workin out,,,

River,,,

Correct.

The plastic baffle in conjunction with the newer air scoop gives better flow and Stihl says "more torque"...

An instruction sheet come with each air filter set showing you which systems use the sponge etc.

Hi all: I just picked up a used 066 and noticed that it has a slightly different air filter system than my older 066. The older model has a wire-cage filter with a foam insert. The newer saw has a coregated wire-cage filter with no foam insert. Both have a felt band over the outside. Why design is newer and does one work better than the other?

Thanks,

Don.

The foam insert is still requried if you don't have a saw that uses the plastic baffle. Ask your dealer for it - it's supposed to be with the filter. The corrigated filter is old and has been superceded.

Last edited:
Lake, What about the AUS filter setup for milling...Better or worst
than the new style, we have here?

Worse... It's just a big sponge. Good for desert grit and dead wood dust, but.. (Australia IS the worlds largest desert island - uh oh.. here comes Ekka)

Last edited:
Yeah but your 660 isnt normal,,,, Is It?????? LOL :rock: :rock:

How the summer job workin out,,,

River,,,

No, I suppose my 660 isn't normal...

Summer job's pretty good so far. Got to snomobile 20 miles out to spend 5 days doing prescribed burning on the Salmon River last week. A good time was had by all.

Thanks for the input Lakeside, I've read the tech bulletin with the update about the baffle on the 46 saying what you said, I just haven't noticed much of a difference either way. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough.

Latest posts

Back