066 Carnage!!!! NOT for the weak at heart!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it looks like the case just had a chunk taken out. Thats fixable. Thats some serious carnage!:(

I dumped out the crankcase....

Are all these litttle pieces of metal suppose to be in there????:bang:
Anybody wanna take a guess at what caused this?
It also sheared the key-way on the flywheel, and yes, I agree it is probably parts now.
THAT SUCKS!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Are all these litttle pieces of metal suppose to be in there????:bang:
Anybody wanna take a guess at what caused this?
It also sheared the key-way on the flywheel, and yes, I agree it is probably parts now.
THAT SUCKS!
attachment.php

attachment.php

My vote is a failed or lost circlip. Maybe thats why the one side of the piston boss is gone. Does the jug have a serious score where the wrist pin may have hit?

My vote is a failed or lost circlip. Maybe thats why the one side of the piston boss is gone. Does the jug have a serious score where the wrist pin may have hit?

I dunno. Ive lost circlips at full revs, and it just wadded the P&C up. Ive only seen one other saw break a rod, a 288xp. It shoved what was left of it out the case toward the intake. No where near the carnage this one sustained.

i think that is good you guys willing to help with parts to get him going again:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: i think that deserves a few reps

I can't figure out what let loose first, but it's obvious that by the time the dust settled there wasn't much that hadn't! I also would have guessed a circlip first, but can't see the chain of events leading to that much damage. Don't suppose you managed to inject a couple quarts of water into the combustion chamber at WOT, did you?

I have a non-perfect 66 case that I would trade/donate, whatever for the cause. Non perfect because the top spike bolt hole is broken. But I would donate.

Thanks for the offer.
I am unsure what I am going to do with it, but I sure hate not have my ol' 066 anymore.

BBB

If the rod had let go first, then I would expect that the top of the rod would still be sitting inside the piston. The rod has an indication that it was snapped sideways (see the torn piece on the side). I figure the piston let go on one side and that stressed the rod to snap.

I can't figure out what let loose first, but it's obvious that by the time the dust settled there wasn't much that hadn't! I also would have guessed a circlip first, but can't see the chain of events leading to that much damage. Don't suppose you managed to inject a couple quarts of water into the combustion chamber at WOT, did you?

Nah, fresh mix with Stihl Ultra. Ran it in the rest of the saws until we were done and no other problems.
I was actaully "done" when I pulled the muffler and saw the cracked cylinder. I knew it was bad.....

BBB

Back