066 crapped out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
Well, I took my 66, put a brand new 25" Stihl bar and chain on it, and took it for a spin.
It was running great, but the chain seemed to be totally dull after just under 1 tank of gas.
I am guessing it was the oiler. There was oil in the tank. Not sure how much was coming out, because like I said, it ran fantastic at first.
I actually had to look to make sure that I hadn't put the chain on backwards, because instead of throwing the nice wood chips it started with, it was more like sawdust.

Had a look at it, sharpened the chain a little, started it again, and while running, the starter cord handle broke off. I didn't notice this at first, cause I was focused on the chain/bar issue (hot, wearing)
I took it back to the shed, and took the cover off, and the whole plastic part that the cord wraps around was in pieces.

So, I am wondering if I have 2 issues or what.
Did the oiler crap out, and could that cause the chain to dull that quickly?
Or is there a possibilty something else is going on.
Is the clutch/starter related, or coincidence?

:bang:

p.s. oh, yeah, I am obviously looking for some parts. anybody got em?

You may very well have dulled your chain in one tank of fuel, depending on what you are cutting. I completely destroyed a chain and nearly a bar cutting some wood in Arkansas. I don't remember what it was, but it turned out to have sand embedded in the bark. Took half a tank of fuel to do the damage.

As far as the recoil, if I recall my 066 it has a pawl that is retracted by a clip when the recoil rewinds and is extended when you pull the starter rope. If the clip were to fail or the pawl break, it could catch the flywheel and tear the pulley apart. Be glad the pulley is plastic. Replacing that is cheap compared to a cover or flywheel.

To check the oiler, I'll remove the bar/chain, start the saw and watch for oil to come out the port. You may have to rev it a little. I see you have a new bar, so plugged holes shouldn't be a problem.

Chris B.

Thanks a lot. I really just kinda wanted to vent.
I am hoping that it is not serious, the engine was running great.
Boy, if you are correct, dulling a chain that quick could get pretty expensive!!
I better work on my sharpening!!

:bowdown:

By the way, the clip you are referring to is mangled. So that explains that.

Lack of oil doesn't make a chain dull... It will quickly seize in the bar without any oil, and the bar would start to burn.

I'm guessing you hit something nasty in the wood, or cut gritty bark.

Thats entirely possible. I was cutting oak, and all the soil in the area is really sandy.

Once went with some buddies to cut up some big spruce at a reservoir expansion site the Forest service had, raising a damn. They'd bulldozed all these trees around the shoreline and we were told we could have all the wood we'd cut and haul. I noticed tiny sparks coming from the cut, frequently. Yep, sand in the trunk, accumulated over the life of the tree in this very windy, sandy area. I went thru all three of the chains I'd taken along in about 2-3 tanks of fuel.

Well, that resolves one issue (hopefully).

Im gonna fix the starter assembly, throw on a new chain, and start sharpening the old one.

Then we'll see what happens.:biggrinbounce2:

Thanks for the info guys. As ALWAYS, this site has all the answers.

I wish I could repay somehow.
:bowdown:

Just an update, to those who helped, thanks a lot.
I rebuilt the starter, cord, pulley, etc.
Put on a new chain, and everything works great.

Thanks for the assistance.
Still wondering what was in the log. I am going to look closely to see if the tree it came from had some old barbed wire embedded in it.
It was near an old fenceline, so its not outside the realm of possibility.
Going to make sure that I have an extra chain with me from now on!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Back