066 or 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I heard that on the 395XP there is a screw on the muffler that goes all the way through to, or seats at, the oil tank . In time this vibrates and you get oil all over everything.

In addition, with the wrap around handle you have to fiddle with the bar nut using a different tool.

I also heard it can be hard to start.

I am not looking for a cheap saw.

I have gone down that road before and in my opinion it is "foolish to step over dollars to pick up pennies" ergo cancel out that "Dolmar", and Echo saws.
I will go with the Husky 395XP or am leaning really toward the Stihl 066. I have one already but hey you never know, the 395 may be a better machine. I'll buy one if I get convinced through this web board. or not.

Any other real advice or comments? Any technical observations about either that may be an advantage or disadvantage?

On my other saws I have installed dual port mufflers and Maxi-flow air intake filters. The mufflers are Stihl factory options but the filters are aftermarket.
I am not against modifiying the saws to this point but I am really a working business owner and dont want to get involved to the point of sending the saws to Madisons or suchlike.
so I am wondering what saw, with few changes, really does holds up better, has fewer tech. problems, starts easier etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

frans

I have a 394xp the predecessor to the 395xp and yes it does have a muffler bracket screw which goes into the oil tank, and yes I have had it come out on me once. Oil did not go everywhere, it slowly run out and I noticed it while doing a stump cut. I use the small wrench that came with my 346xp to take off the bar cover with little trouble. Mine is not that hard to start and has seen its share of abuse.

As far as what Ive heard, the 066 is a better saw from the factory and responds better to modification. There were a couple 066's for sell on the used equipment page. Ryan had an 066 modified by Dennis, and I think z4lunch had a brand new one for sell, but i believe its on ebay now. Good luck to you.

Rob

I have a fairly new 066 and, here in Central Texas, cutting Oak and Pecan, it works and works and works. Bought it new to replace a used one that seized. Will walk through anything here that I can put it into.

Hal

I've had a stock 066 and the one I have now has been modified by Dennis and that is one BAD saw!! the 066 is a great saw even stock but modified??? even better!!!! it'll cut anything you put in front of it with ease.

<p>Howdy-<p/>
Stihls and Husqvarnas respond to modification in different ways. Most models of Husqvarna have a little more top end and chain speed, while their Stihl counterpart models have the grunt low end torque. When you modify a chain saw cylinder and piston, usually the idea is to increase flow. When a saw technician opens up the intake, transfer, and exhaust ports, you're increasing volume but decreasing velocity. So you're somewhat sacrificing some top end for more torque.<p/>
<p>However, the Husky models with "air injection" take modification very well. The air injection seems to fill the gap a little in the increased volume. The Stihls seem to repond with more torque.<p/>
<p>I think saw wrenches who don't jet the carb are shortchanging thier customers though. Neither Walker's or Madsens change the jetting on thier "working man" hop-ups. Fixed jets are available for every carburetor on every production saw. However, that doesn't mean you can automatically throw a bigger jet in the WT that came on your 009.<p/>

I am a fan of the 066, got 7 of them, use at least one every day.

Now We're Loggin'

Some of the 395's issued in Canada and Siberia have the variable muffler baffle, much like a damper in a stove pipe, where the back pressure can be changed at the turn of a dial.
This way the saw can be made instantly street legal, with the turn of a bar wrench.
John Lambert, (not DB, just using his computer, but to lazy to log in as Gypo).
P.S., the trees are growing faster in the U.S., than they can be cut down.
Which Way to the Beech?

Frans,
Steve here... Maybe this one will wet your whistle.. Put a MS660Arctic on Ebay last weekend reserve is $849 closes on Sunday morning...If one of you AB members spin the wheel on her I 'spose I could square grind the chain...And maybe I could sharpen my pencil on shipping?
Got my own 66Arctic, put a dual port on it, wow...
Weatherby thanks for the plug...
Steve

Steve,

No problem, I would have bought it myself if I didnt have this brand new 088 KD still havent put it in wood yet, just idled a tank or two through it. Nice looking saw. If I could get someone to take my walkerized 394 from me I would have got it. But its so beat up I dont think I could get much out of it. I bought it used and looks like someone had the chain come off a few times.

Rob

Back