066 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reed1517

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I purchased a parts 066 saw. I seem to have gotten an odd ball year? The case gasket is different and has a different model carb than other 066’s. I’m now second guessing all parts I need to order. I do have a parts manual that I am referencing. It keeps referring to 1999? are there any parts that are drastically different that I need to be aware of? I’m stuck on the oil pump currently. There was no old one to reference.

I purchased a parts 066 saw. I seem to have gotten an odd ball year? The case gasket is different and has a different model carb than other 066’s. I’m now second guessing all parts I need to order. I do have a parts manual that I am referencing. It keeps referring to 1999? are there any parts that are drastically different that I need to be aware of? I’m stuck on the oil pump currently. There was no old one to reference.
This has been covered many times in many places.
They have two case gaskets for 1122 saws.
Most take a regular 066/660 oil pump but the 064. They look like an early 044 10mm saw oil pump with panel air filter. Old school.
064-066 or an
066-660 and 650 case gasket.
One has a shorter oil tank.
Overall they had four different case volumes that DD covered extensively.
The cylinder base gaskets are the same for 54mm 066-660.
The seals can be an early or late model set. The late model has bigger seals. The changer saw, I own one, is a flattop short case 066, no decomp with cast metal flywheel vs the poly wheel later with a long oil tank 066/660 bubble top with a decomp button. The early coil is different and so is the early redlight coil on the red eye 066 from the old model. Ignition limited setup for tuning purposes.

The early 064/066 had a panel air filter not the HD type. Most of the new 066 models have and HD filter with a metal housing different from the 064 metal housing and metal air filter cover. My saw has the HD filter on a metal base with a plastic cover shaped like a plastic HD 044 cover. Yup, clear as mud 😂

The rest should be the same except carb kits. They had two or three Walbro models and a Bing early on on several models.

Hope that helps.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/seriously-need-an-early-066-flywheel-assembly.361322/

This has been covered many times in many places.
They have two case gaskets for 1122 saws.
Most take a regular 066/660 oil pump but the 064. They look like an early 044 10mm saw oil pump with panel air filter. Old school.
064-066 or an
066-660 and 650 case gasket.
One has a shorter oil tank.
Overall they had four different case volumes that DD covered extensively.
The cylinder base gaskets are the same for 54mm 066-660.
The seals can be an early or late model set. The late model has bigger seals. The changer saw, I own one, is a flattop short case 066, no decomp with cast metal flywheel vs the poly wheel later with a long oil tank 066/660 bubble top with a decomp button. The early coil is different and so is the early redlight coil on the red eye 066 from the old model. Ignition limited setup for tuning purposes.

The early 064/066 had a panel air filter not the HD type. Most of the new 066 models have and HD filter with a metal housing different from the 064 metal housing and metal air filter cover. My saw has the HD filter on a metal base with a plastic cover shaped like a plastic HD 044 cover. Yup, clear as mud 😂

The rest should be the same except carb kits. They had two or three Walbro models and a Bing early on on several models.

Hope that helps.
Wow! Thank you. I have been discovering posts covering this.

Wow! Thank you. I have been discovering posts covering this.
And keep looking on bigger search engines. It's all ben covered here, there and over there. The ignition can be a pia to some when they mix parts. I start with TDC to avoid those issues with unknown bits. Part numbers became a giant pia.

@reed1517

My Dumb and Dummer pair are getting front outlet cover swaps today. They have five of those mix and match all OEM, that I know of, and three different cans. Amazingly they all interchange so far unlike my 1125 saws. Those mufflers truly are a pia to match up with cylinders and front covers. They have too many different types in every country it seems. This front don't fit that can or this cylinder port length is wrong. Finally got that sorted.

Lots of variations. Post ser# and as many pictures as you can and the people in the know here will help you out.

The cases/flywheels/ignitions changed, airfilter setups, covers, oil pump,.......

I put a couple of tech bulletins and IPL here. I have shop manual but too big to attach. Go to beg for manuals thread and someone will set you up

Attachments

• 064 066 ignitions carbs .pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 064 and 066 ignitions.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 066 IPL-2.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
It seems my main issue is the coil. This flywheel is only compatible with 1122 400 1307? It’s crazy expensive. Could I add another key notch to make it compatible with other coils? The 1311? It seems all the AM coils are for the poly fly. or buy a new set of the Chinese crap.

“So I can confirm that the 1300 universal coil will work with the 1209/1214 flywheel with the single keyway.” Quote from scottw. Not sure of the proper way to quote someone on this site. I’ll give this one a try. It’s advertised as 064 but I see it in tech manuals for the 066 as well.

That flywheel should/could have two keyways, the X and P positions for two different coils. Some may have only been cut with one?

The P is for the CDIC early coil, red light coil I think?

The X is for the later coil, that seems to be your keyway. See the part #s on front of flywheel and X and P on rear. (edit: whoops mixed up front and rear)

I think that flywheel will work with the common "universal coil" 0000 400 1300. And coils from many other Stihl saws. You might have to change the coil HT lead if using a used coil from another Stihl with different length.

See the attachment I posted. Others that know the 066 may correct me.

I'll have a look at the carb #s........

The WJ48 carb is correct for an early 066. They changed the jet sizes when they changed the ignitions.

See the attachments I posted.

Look at the main jet # to see what you have. My guess is the fixed jet is 0.062mm that goes with the later coil/flywheel (not limited red light coil). The carb with the larger fixed jet 0.072mm should still be tunable.

The WJ48 carb is correct for an early 066. They changed the jet sizes when they changed the ignitions.

Look at the main jet # to see what you have. My guess is the fixed jet is 0.062mm that goes with the later coil/flywheel (not limited red light coil). The carb with the larger fixed jet 0.072mm should still be tunable.
.062. Damn you’re good.

I have read your attachments. Thank you again. They were very helpful.

I have read your attachments. Thank you again. They were very helpful.

Lots of people here know a lot more than me about the 064/066 series. I have one of each and have learned much of what I know from them. I too have been forced to learn as I fix all my own saws.

That early 066 should be a great reliable runner if you rebuild it proper with quality/OEM parts.

How does the OEM P/C look? Try to use the original cylinder if it cleans up and looks OK.

Back