066 Sprocket washer and e-clip source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
I just got done paying $4.50 for one washer and one e-clip at my local Stihl dealer. Too painful for words. There has got to be an aftermarket source at a fraction of this. I checked out Bailey's and Madsen's, but got nothing.

Where do you guys go?

Mark

I found a match for the E clip for my 028 at Lowes. Came 2 in a package for less than a buck. I didn't need the washer because I was lucky enough to find it in the saw chips. (Found the e clip to, but it was broken). That washer may be harder to match up.

Cool, would have never thought about Lowes. I could probably rig a washer from a fender washer from the hardware store. That's 1/2 the price of the e-clip I bought today. Not bad.

Mark

I can't stand the price of certain parts (like 12 bucks for an outer bar plate for my 395) but for certain things like clips I find I am superstitious or something and always run a clip from the manufacturor. Don't know why exactly, just don't want to ever have it pop of because it was off poor quality or fit I guess.

Keeps me pretty careful with them though at that price. And I always carry certain spare parts in my toolbox including clips to fit each saw.

Last edited:
The Stihl MSRP (THE "S" is "suggested") price for the clip is 45 cents and the washer $2.15. Talk to your dealer..

The clip is a standard metric DIN part - the USA equiv part is NOT thick enough. You need a 1.3mm thick clip. The 066 washer is a custom part. You're only going to change it once per 5 or 10 years, so... If you use a "fender washer", you're going to damage the crank

Lakeside53 said:
The Stihl MSRP (THE "S" is "suggested") price for the clip is 45 cents and the washer $2.15. Talk to your dealer..

The clip is a standard metric DIN part - the USA equiv part is NOT thick enough. You need a 1.3mm thick clip. The 066 washer is a custom part. You're only going to change it once per 5 or 10 years, so... If you use a "fender washer", you're going to damage the crank
There you have it, don't put junk on a good saw.

Lakeside53 said:

Makes sense to me now why I've never been comfortable with other clips - they don't really fit. Good to know, thanks.

Lakeside53 said:

I agree, the dealer is sticking it to you. $2.76 for both at my place!:rock:

Yeah, these guys really hack me off. Last time I ordered parts, not only did I get gigged on the price, they charged me shipping for my "special order" even though I had to wait until their regular shipment arrived...and then took three days to get it out of the tub so I could get it.

Remember a few days back when we talked about service and loyalty? I'm on to another dealer. This has been frosting me more and more since the night has gone on. There is another dealer about 20 miles from here that is supposed to be one of their "top tier" dealers too. I guess that is my new dealer.

Lake, I fully understand "suggested", they just won't like my "suggestion" of what they can do with it. Enough is enough.

Mark

Update.

Drove 15 miles to the next nearest Stihl dealer. Paid $3.07 for two clips and a washer. I found myself a new Stihl dealer. Not the most convenient, but really nice guys who stock saws and parts with a nice selection of accessories. I'll drive the distance, about 6 or 7 extra miles on my trip home.

I'm a firm believer in capitalism, that a dealer can charge whatever they wish for their parts and services. But, it is a two way street, and this could end up being a very expensive way to make $2 of extra profit for them.

Thanks guys.

Mark

Back