Stihl e-clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bevels on the outer end of the crank don't matter for keeping the clip on. It's the groove the clip sits in that needs to have nice square corners.

The clips have a sharp square side and a rounded side. Make sure the square side is positioned so it takes the force. In this case it should be to the outside. If it's backwards then it'll be easier for it to be forced off.
I agree with most of what you are saying BUT Check the picture closer, to me it looks like the bevels/chamfers have removed some of the ridge of the e-clip groove. Then Pioneer guy has a good point.

Damn I can't figure out multi quote in this software.

It being hard to put the clip in doesn't mean it is oriented correctly.

Yep it looks like whoever ground the end of the crank might have reduced the area of the groove. Its hard to tell from the pic how bad it is.

Yes a full circlip of the right ID and sufficient thickness would be better.

Damn I can't figure out multi quote in this software.

It being hard to put the clip in doesn't mean it is oriented correctly.

Yep it looks like whoever ground the end of the crank might have reduced the area of the groove. Its hard to tell from the pic how bad it is.

Yes a full circlip of the right ID and sufficient thickness would be better.
It feels pretty secure to me I even took a needle nose and tried to move it..it's not budging..maybe I'll pick up snap ring as a back up..can hurt.

I end up buying 50 e-clips on ebay and have never had a problem. I gave out clips to people ay events and to Cal Fire at the end of their budget year. I look like a hero but it cost me just a few dollars. (I keep a little baggie of a few clips, washers, and bearings on the dashboard for quick access.)

It’s good to carry a few spare parts for things easily lost or damaged which would take your saw out of service. Unless you carry spare saws.

There are threads on this, but usually include ’e’-clips, bar nuts, spark plug, fuel filter, starter rope, chain, scrench, etc. Everyone has their own list, usually based on experience.

Philbert

I've had a couple e-clips disappear while using my saws... I don't know if they broke or somehow got knocked off. One time the washer was lost and the cage bearing mangled. Those experiences led me to get extra e-clips, cage bearings and washers from my Stihl dealer to fit each of my saws. For what the stuff cost it isn't worth my time looking elsewhere to try to save what amounts to pennies. I added the spare parts to my field kit... only needed them once thus far.

Side note: ‘e’-clips like to fly, especially when working in grass. I learned to hold a small rag over them, when prying them off with a small screwdriver. I was also shown how to use the large end of a scrench as a ‘captive’ way to press them back in place. Both simple ’tricks’ that cost nothing.

BTW, the tool best suited for finding the lost ‘e’-clip, bar nut, etc. in the grass is your lawnmower.

Philbert

Doesn't seem like it and I really hate to pull the clip off..for reference, this is was the old one looked like..

you can clearly see where the inner portion of the clip wore out..I'm sure that's why it came off..
View attachment 975419

I wonder if it was installed in correct orientation, rounded side towards washer?

But it looks like the flat side is fubar.....

BTW, the tool best suited for finding the lost ‘e’-clip, bar nut, etc. in the grass is your lawnmower.
I seem to lose the stuff in the woods in thick brush and leaf litter... I find anti-scalp wheels and trimmer head balls from the brush mower with my zero turn mower. ;)

I bought 40 plus saws on an internet auction. Called about a better description of a Stihl and owner of the saws said he already threw them back in the totes and had no clue what was what. i ended up with a nearly new MS460 all screws accounted for only missing the "E-CLIP. Had a fire dept tag on the handle. Very short Bar and A messed up diamond rescue chain.. Lots of other very nice Jonsereds Echos, Stihls And misc.in need of something usually P/C. Made a 150 mile trip out and 150 mile trip back.. I was Happy on the Trip back... E-clip problems are not always bad but that ordeal did exacerbate my CAD.

E-clips also get beaten up rapidly if the clutch loosens up while running. They get squeezed hard against the outer washer and are very hard to remove and while doing so, they usually become history and look much like what JaxJeremy showed in post #32. BTW, many hardware stores and HI stores don't even carry metric E-Clips.

Since someone ruined the crankshaft, you might have to try a full snap ring.

View attachment 975246
I think either a 9 mm external or even a 3/8" external snap ring would work OK for any Stihl that wants an 8 mm e-clip. However, not many of my customers would have snap ring pliers handy, so they might give you some flak. Then again, they may come back to you when their drive sprocket needs changing. Good Pic, HarleyT.

I think either a 9 mm external or even a 3/8" external snap ring would work OK for any Stihl that wants an 8 mm e-clip. However, not many of my customers would have snap ring pliers handy, so they might give you some flak. Then again, they may come back to you when their drive sprocket needs changing. Good Pic, HarleyT.
If the e-clip keeps coming off, one may have to adapt.
Stihl makes a scrench that is also snap ring pliers, btw. It only costs $100.....

Latest posts

Back