Stihl e-clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's up guys, I was camping over the weekend and always bring my saw to cut firewood. When I got back and started cleaning the saw, the rim washer fall out right onto me workbench..Amazed it didn't fall out in the woods..I realized the e-clip was gone, but luckily I had a spare from an old parts saw.

I'd like to get some spares, the diagrams I've found on the interweb lists them as 8x1.3. Is this something should I get from the dealer, or can I source at my local hardware store? Also, should I replace the rim washer at the same time? Thanks in advance.

1647863085194.png

What's up guys, I was camping over the weekend and always bring my saw to cut firewood. When I got back and started cleaning the saw, the rim washer fall out right onto me workbench..Amazed it didn't fall out in the woods..I realized the e-clip was gone, but luckily I had a spare from an old parts saw.

I'd like to get some spares, the diagrams I've found on the interweb lists them as 8x1.3. Is this something should I get from the dealer, or can I source at my local hardware store? Also, should I replace the rim washer at the same time? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 975181
I would just get them from the dealer. Not second guessing that you get the right ones. I can't recall if certain sizes are saw specific. Your washer looks OK but might as well replace it if your concerned.

I'd look over the bearing, crank and bearing surface on the drum really well.

I'm seeing wear on the rim but hard to tell from picture.

New rim is usually new chain time too, as drivers wear to rim profile. Sort of like a bicycle or motorcycle sprocket/chain.

E-clip might be generic? Your could buy both and see if they match or not. I think Stihl ones are $1-4.

I'd look over the bearing, crank and bearing surface on the drum really well.

I'm seeing wear on the rim but hard to tell from picture.

New rim is usually new chain time too, as drivers wear to rim profile. Sort of like a bicycle or motorcycle sprocket/chain.

E-clip might be generic? Your could buy both and see if they match or not. I think Stihl ones are $1-4.
Good call. It doesn't see a ton of use, but I've had the saw for a while so it probably can't hurt to replace. Hopefully I can still get Stihl replacement parts for it..

I have not seen a Stihl crank end with bevels like the one here, that would allow the clip to be easily ,thrown off.
Betting someone never could get a e-clip on without struggle and they thought they made it easier to get on. But created another problem. Just my WAG.

Good observation.. would have never known what the crank end looked like, but I can say in all these years it's the first time I ever lost one of these clips.
I have not seen a Stihl crank end with bevels like the one here, that would allow the clip to be easily ,thrown of

I have not seen a Stihl crank end with bevels like the one here, that would allow the clip to be easily ,thrown off.
Does look like it's been peened or ground/filed.

Not a 361, a 036 pictures, compare

Attachments

• clutch side done.jpg
    clutch side done.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 7
  • clutch outer:pump drive.jpg
    clutch outer:pump drive.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 7
I'll just have to keep an eye on it..will grab a few extract of those clips for safe measure..so what about a source for parts, any recommendation? I see a bunch of junk on amazon but I know that's a gamble.

Bevels on the outer end of the crank don't matter for keeping the clip on. It's the groove the clip sits in that needs to have nice square corners.

The clips have a sharp square side and a rounded side. Make sure the square side is positioned so it takes the force. In this case it should be to the outside. If it's backwards then it'll be easier for it to be forced off.

Latest posts

Back