066 vs 690 vs 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Given the same application which saw would you get and why?
Application is milling pine at 7000 feet 80 miles from town to fix up a cabin.

Stihl 066 $700

Solo 690 $675

Husky 395 $750

Don,

If you do a search on topic you will find that these saws get discussed all the time and there should be plenty of old threads to keep you reading.

ooops, that's your line isn't it?:p

I'd get the 395 only cuz I run Huskies. Definitley get milling chain like Dennis suggested, no matter what the choice.

Get the one with the best and closest parts and service. My choice is the 66 but Stihl all I run because of a good dealer near me!

Local Dealers and chain

Being in a diversified area like Los Angeles the dealers around me have english as a second language.

When I ask them about the saw I get the usual same reply.
Oh thats a big saw. I get it for you, okay? Hard to get must charge full retail. You pay first, have it in a week.

So mail order I go.

I usually use 46RSF chain 404 063 25 degree square chisel round filed (gonna fiqure out how to square file one day if Uncle Art would teach me.) Full Skip.

I was looking at the specs for 27R or 27RA Ripping chains Oregon but never used it nor know of anyone who has. Been hearing most people are going to Carlton chains.

If I go hog wild I can get a 3120XP for under $900 delivered.

Bigger the saw the operation goes alot smoother, last i heard gypo had some 88 Stihls with a decent price and alot of extras.

I agree with Dennis, the 066 is one heck of a saw also I might add that you can run saftey chain when milling and should see little to no difference in cutting speed.

I Know that buying a new saw for your mill would seem like the logical thing to do, but is it the best? I think milling is some of the hardest work a chain saw can do. It is under constant load and full throttle. This is not the best way to break in a saw. You would not usually buy a new car to compete in a race without proper break-in and modification. Overly rich fuel mixture and oil ratios are desireable in milling and break-in but if you combine them I think you may damage the saw prematurely. At the very least you will not receive the milling performance you could achieve.
I do happen to have two 088s that are just broken in and should fill the bill for your milling needs. I offer you a refund if you don't like the way they perform after using them for a day. Contact me if interested. Mike-

Type of chain for milling

I am running Stihl 46 RSF and have about half a roll left over.

I might add that you can run saftey chain when milling and should see little to no difference in cutting speed.

I can understand the safety issue but should I go out and get some more loops?

I run 404 chain but was thinking of 3/8 since people on this site say it cuts faster.

What all around chain would you recommend?

088 saw New and Used

Rupedoggy, I think there are at least two schools of thought on breaking in a new engine. Some take it easy and others run it as they would use it under normal use. I have heard this many times. My gut feeling tells me an engine runing at 12,000 RPM all the time will show problems regardless of how the break in is performed. Personally I run 3 tanks cutting small wood prior to putting the saw to work.

Although 80% of the saws I have are Stihls and the rest are throw aways I am beginning to consider other brands of saws.

The 088 is an awesome saw. Don't know a good price. Warranty duration is not very long.

Can get a new 3120XP delivered for under $850. Don't know warranty period?

Can get a Solo / Dolmar 694 for under $800 with 2 year warranty.

Frankly over $700 and I might spring for the SOLO / Dolmar because of the two year waraanty. Especially if the warranty is transferable.

Thank you Newfie

Is the Husky warranty matter whether it is commercial or personal use?

I figure for such a large saw they consider a 3120 commercial.

I have been using Stihl for a long time but the warranty is a big consideration.

So what is a used 088 going for these days?

Allot more cutting going on this year than last but I suspect after reading / talking to other regions business is normal to slow.

Latest posts

Back