066.....What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not have to actually stop the engine from running..... It just refers to the scuffuing on the piston.

This is a problem seen in two cycle aircraft. The engine is also warmed up before flight.

I just muffed a piston and stuck a ring, actually while I was checking tune let the saw warm up, made two cuts, was goin to check with tach. held it wot, rpm was good then jumped 3,500 rpm and died.

Come to find out the vent hose was split and leaking badly, and saw ran out of fuel just as I held it wot. :cry::wtf:

53.99mm across the transfers
53.99mm across the intake/exhaust

Good,..then the piston expanded just as it it is intended to do, but it swelled too quickly, the cylinder did not expand as quickly as the piston did. The skirts are always larger in dia than the crown but the whole piston expands so the skirt would actually be tighter in the cylinder for just a couple of seconds but enough for it to scuff itself badly. IMO.

I am going to say this one was a cold seize. If most of the scuffing occurred where the piston has the most mass such as the webbing, points in the cold seize direction.

The saw never seized up.
And I let it warm up before any WOT cuts were made

Cold seize happens very early. Right after startup.

Good,..then the piston expanded just as it it is intended to do, but it swelled too quickly, the cylinder did not expand as quickly as the piston did. The skirts are always larger in dia than the crown but the whole piston expands so the skirt would actually be tighter in the cylinder for just a couple of seconds byt enough for it to scuff itself badly. IMO.

But the saw was warm.... Think shrinkage.

I wonder if the cold ambient air -6 f caused the cylinder not to get warm enough to have enough piston to cylinder clearance while it was running and working hard....the ex side might not be as tight as the heat from the muffler and always hotter on ex-side of piston. Does look like the most scoring on the intake is in the lower half of the piston where it is widest and where the lower portion of the cylinder is which tends to be smaller than the top dia.....sounds like the tune was sufficient for the weather conditions.....

But the saw was warm.... Think shrinkage.

This sort of piston damage happens just as the engine starts up from a cold condition, the saw will still run for quite soime time afterwards but the damage has been done. I live in a cold climate, cold for 4-5 months of the year. I have seen many cold scored pistons come my way over the years. The cylinder is cold, it has cooling fins and more mass than the piston. The piston expands more rapidly than the cylinder.

Back