066.....What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of piston damage happens just as the engine starts up from a cold condition, the saw will still run for quite soime time afterwards but the damage has been done. I live in a cold climate, cold for 4-5 months of the year. I have seen many cold scored pistons come my way over the years. The cylinder is cold, it has cooling fins and more mass than the piston. The piston expands more rapidly than the cylinder.

It's cold in NS?

I posted a thread the other day about de-comp failure. I thought they busted and puked metal into the jug. Most that replied said they leaked and subsequently smoked the top end. IDK? minus 6 seems like a huge red flag to me. Looks like you will have it back in service pretty soon. :popcorn2:

Bottom end is clean as a whistle
this clean?
whistle_zpstj1fe8ce.jpg

MAHLE P&C

Saw is extremely low hour.
Untouched since the day it left Germany
That's a shame. I hate these head scratchers when you're not sure what happened.

I had a 045 that seemed to run and tune fine. It turned out to be a crank seal that only leaked enough to cause a problem under extended heavy load.

But as others have suggested, that doesn't look like a heat related seizure.. Really strange. I'd vac test it anyway.

That's a shame. I hate these head scratchers when you're not sure what happened.

I had a 045 that seemed to run and tune fine. It turned out to be a crank seal that only leaked enough to cause a problem under extended heavy load.

But as others have suggested, that doesn't look like a heat related seizure.. Really strange. I'd vac test it anyway.
It's getting all new lines and seals.

Cold enough, seen -21C several times, been below freezing for a couple months on end this winter, cold enough when starting a cold two stroke to let it idle a minute of more before revving it up and plunging it into a cut.

.... and you guys had lot's of snow this year...

Back