076 Damage opnion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Guys,

How bad do you think this damage is on an 076? The area in Blue was filled with some kind of hard filler by the previous owner, The red areas looks like small pin holes. Do you think it is necessary to replace this entire part or could I just repatch it with some epoxy or filler?

chaind.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Bob, here is a pic of my 076. No damage like yours, but there is some gouging from the chain near the front.

attachment.php

Here is the diagram of the crankcase. Looks like that section is the wall of the bar oil tank. Is oil weeping through the damage?
Maybe brazing is an option to fill it in?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yep it weeps a small amount of oil. It's not much, my guess is it's leaking at a rate of about 10 - 20% of what the saw would normally use. However, this will be a problem with the saw over on its side in the mill as it will leak continuously. I am tempted to just rebog it up. The previous rebog seemed like quite a good job because I didn't notice it leaking at all but I have no idea how long it has been there, it looked like quite a long time.

Your parts diagram does show its a half crankcase part - what a bummer. I guess I keep a look out for this part?

I would clean the area very good, using first a wire brush, then carb cleaner or brake cleaner, then finally with alcohol. I would then seal it up with J-B weld.

Thanks to all who replied. It's very reassuring to get all these responses.

I now have a follow up question. How do I stop the JB Weld from dripping through the holes while it is setting. Is it just a matter of waiting till it gets thick or sets enough before applying?

Thanks

I don't think you need to worry about that if its only weeping through. JB weld is pretty thick stuff. Basically, its just epoxy. It just happens to be the particular epoxy that works great on metal. Its the old 2-part one black tube, one white tube kind. I personally wouldn't do anything to the backside, as it probably will hold better if it gets just into the holes...

If after wire-brushing it you see that there's a larger hole than you initially realized, then maybe you have an issue, but I think you're in good shape. The holes in your saw look pin-sized;you may get half a drop trying to push through, but not enough to matter.
Just my .02

I wouldn't worry about making it shiny; Some scuffs give more surface area for the JBweld to adhere to. Just make sure it is CLEAN! Like someone suggested, use brake parts cleaner then alcohol, scrubbing well with a brush. You might want to drain the oil afterwards and rinse it out if you're worried about getting cleaner into the tank. I'm pretty sure it evaporates cleanly, but not positive. I haven't used it in a while.

All done - all good!

Repair affected - see before and after shots below . Steel filled epoxy. Just a little dab (allowed to go off) to block up the pin holes and then another layer on top. Sanded reasonably flat, primed, painted (3 coats), All done.

Not the smoothest patch in the world and the paint colour doesn't exactly match but Im not fussed.

Thanks to all who helped.

attachment.php

Back