084/088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess that I am confused (something that happens more and more often). I saw an auction for a new 084 this morning. Where are they sold. I do not see an 084 listed on the US Stihl site.

URL=http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2307572494&category=20538]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2307572494&category=20538[/URL]

Thanks,

Hal[

I believe they were discontinued due to EPA regulations. That saw is now sold as an 088. The ebay saw may have been old stock.

Wolfcsm,

The 084 was still being listed as a current saw about 18 months ago but only on the overseas sites. At the same time they were still listing the 090. The saw on ebay was obviously old stock but the seller really did not know what he had. I guess he thought because the retail price was $1400 or so he should get something close to that. It brought $860 and he did not let it go. He needs to see that new 088's are going for under $1000. heck maybe his reserve was $875 so i guess I should not knock him. He makes reference to why buy a used saw when you can get a new one. I just wonder if he might be making reference to John selling "used" 088"s. John may not be able to say but I assume they are new saws that he has "used" to keep the Stihl gods from putting a stop to his enterprise.

While I am on the subject has anyone dealt with the ebay seller summitpowertools. They seem to be selling some new saws pretty reasonably. I just wonder if they are a reputable seller or are these saw factory reconditioned units.

Bill

Bill,

Have not not purchased a saw from summitpowertools but I have talked to him a few times and he seems like a good guy. He quoted me $825 for a 066 magnum if anyone wanted to know. He has good feedback and I wouldnt hesitate in buying a saw from him if it was the best deal I could get.

Just on a side note, if anyone is looking for an 088 I believe Ken Dunn has one or two laying around at a good deal.

Rob

Wow if they are wanting $825 for a 66 then I do not need to contact them. I believe the local dealer will let them go out the door for under $900. When I get ready for one I will buy it locally. I like my local Stihl dealer and will keep my business local. What I am more interested in is the new 088" s. I believe summit was selling them for about $950. I will hopefully end up getting one from John in the near future. I would actually buy a 88 locally but there price is so much higher I just cannot jusify it.

Bill

Those are some good prices. My dealer wants $1,600 for an 088. For an 066 its like $950 - $1000, somewhere around there.

084Av on Ebay

Steve here...
I just got an email back from the seller of that new 084AV. They have it relisted again...She said in the email and I quote..( The reserve price is not as much as a new one, which is $1619.95.) WOW that sounds like a screamn' deal considering I paid $960 for my 088 with a 36" bar.
I didn't have it in me to email her back and tell her she's confused.
Steve

Treeman,

John (Gypo) can deliver you a new 088 for $1050. There was a guy on here a little while back that said he bought new 066;s for under $600. I have not heard anything out of him since. I guess I have to say that I will believe that when I see it. I had been trying to sell a saw to a local guy here. It turns out that a dealer to the north cut him a great deal on a new 066 so it will not work out. I know he paid way under what your dealer is asking.

Bill

Hi Treeman, I now charge 950 delivered, but with the security at the border it seems to takes about 10-14 business day, some may find this unexceptable.
However, if you buy a saw from me you will look like this when you get it.

John,

When things pick back up around here Iwill get a new 088 from you. Just like everyone else I really want a 090 but that is not a possibility now. I knew a couple years ago that I should buy four 090's. One to use, one to keep new, and one for each of my boys. Now I would need another since next week I will be having another boy. The problem is I never bought any. If I can talk my wife in to it I might just head up your way this summer. As of now I cannot afford to buy anymore saws but when things pick up I will be getting a new 088.

Bill

Latest posts

Back