084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K... now I see it. Heck, I'd make an adapter (block of T6061 Al) tapped for the decomp), then just tig the insert to the cylinder. Might spot face the old area first and pin it in place.

Last edited:
O.K... now I see it. Heck, I'd make an adapter (block of T6061 Al) tapped for the decomp), then just tig the insert to the cylinder. Might spot face the old area first and pin it in place.

Is that casting 6061? What heat treating?

Is that casting 6061? What heat treating?

No idea what the casting is. I just like using 6061T6 'cos I'm in Boeing land and it's just "scrap". Once tig'd the heat treatment in the local area is toast anyhow - and why I wouldn't build up the entire piece with weld.

looks like a fine candidate for a head if you were to ask me.....lol...

How's that dn084 working for you??

That chain is in a box ready to ship out tomorrow....and that rollomatic bar could be shipped out too.. If you want it???

PM?$?

looks like a fine candidate for a head if you were to ask me.....lol...

How's that dn084 working for you??

That chain is in a box ready to ship out tomorrow....and that rollomatic bar could be shipped out too.. If you want it???

PM?$?
Sounds great in a enclosed barn. :D Need to get that Aspen, reminds me to call that guy tomorrow.

Yes I would like to know more about the bar (would keep me from having to cut a new stihl 25 incher down right now), you know where to pm or email the amount needed. :cheers:

370 miles and 8 hours later, I'm home. All I need is a bunch of parts and a bunch of time. I certainly have my work cut out for me. Everything was as expected. It was nice meetin' ya Steve.

066 RL on the left, then the 084 parts saw, the 084 that's complete minus P&C, some extra plastic, a scrap P&C, and a box of parts. OK Stihl dealer, UPS man, I need some parts. Oh, Lisa, I'm going to need the dishwasher for a few hours:D
241707555-M.jpg

Brad did you get a hard copy of the 84 service manual? The 84 S.M. isn't on the disc, just the IPL. The S. manual can be bought on ebay. :cheers:

I copied the manual once for a guy and mailed it to him to help him out, but I dont want to do that again, wasn't worth my time and ink used. :cry:

Get'er Done.......calling on the Aspen cants again today.....

Brad;
14 pages and you haven't started building yet!!!

I'll see what I can do about that tonight. I'll probably start by stripping down the 084 parts saw. That way I'll know what additional small parts I need to buy. I'm hoping to get the 066 cylinder soon. So I should have that one running shortly as well. The new 084 case delivery has been delayed. It may be another 1 1/2 weeks before I see it. With any luck, I'll find a jug for the other 084. It won't take any time to get that one running as well. It all just depends on how much time and effort I put into cleaning and prettying them up. Once I get started, I usually don't know where to stop and end up going through the whole thing.

Last edited:
I'm blown away by the connecting rod on these 084. They look like tooth picks. How in the world do they hold up? I'd seen picks of them, but they look even weaker in person. I guess they work.

When my 084 ate it's first cylinder it backfired and I swear it spun backwards for a second. It broke the crank but the connecting rod held up.

attachment.php

When my 084 ate it's first cylinder it backfired and I swear it spun backwards for a second. It broke the crank but the connecting rod held up.

HOLY **** :jawdrop:

Was you WOT in a cut when it happen or milling etc? :help:

Back