088 oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
how does the 088 oiling system work? from what Im looking at on the saw and the IPL I cant understand how it doesnt oil all the time the saw is running. The one Im messing with oils all the time. Is this right?

If it is like most stihls, part 15 on the oiler page of the IPL should fit the clutch drum and power the oiler

I am sure you know this it just sounded like that is what you where missing.
What are you confused about?

Last edited:
I am not sure but Its looking like a new oiler drive system may be needed. This thing oils all the time the engine is running, and the drive tang that engages the clutch is seperated from the plastic retaining ring. :censored:

Look very carefully at your clutch and drum also.... The tang getting messed up is often the result of a back clutch/drum/drum bearings. 088 clutch springs can be a struggle to put in.

Do you have the clutch off yet?

Look very carefully at your clutch and drum also.... The tang getting messed up is often the result of a back clutch/drum/drum bearings. 088 clutch springs can be a struggle to put in.

Do you have the clutch off yet?

I removed the clutch and took off the disk washer behind it, then removed the spur gear that the drive spring is housed on. Is the drive spring supposed to be separate from the spur gear? I suspect that the crank is spinning the spur gear all the time somehow.

The spring is supposed to be secured to the spur gear. You need a new unit.

1124 640 7512 (includes the new spring) - about $33...

If your drum wobbles badly on the bearing, you'll need a new drum/bearing also. Did the clutch disengage at idle?

If the guy Im selling this thing to dont appreciate this thing when I deliver it Monday Imma tear the damn thing to pieces and part it out, lol. But I want it as right as I can get it. P/C look great, runs good, its a 2002 model saw, just been abused in the Kansas sun for a few years.

You're going to find a dealer with an 088 spur gear in Kanas by Monday? lololol

I hear Brad's looking for another project... Pull it completely to pieces, sell off a couple of small choice parts, put it in a big box, shake it all up and sell it to him..:popcorn:

Last edited:
I hear Brad's looking for another project... Pull it completely to pieces, sell off a couple of small choice parts, put it in a big box, shake it all up and sell it to him..:popcorn:

Brad? ya wanna 088? It has a good runnin motor. Honest Eddie. 2 bad av mounts and the oiler deal. 36"B/C .404 .............:jester:

You're going to find a dealer with an 088 spur gear in Kanas by Monday? lololol

no no, no hurry on that. I doubt there even is a dealer in Kansas with one in stock.

Can you really wash the plastic parts in the dishwasher?????

Yes, you can.

Then again, I "can" stick my hand in a bee hive if I'm willing to accept the consequences, which may be similar to putting saw parts in the dishwasher at my house....

Brad and others get away with it somehow.

Latest posts

Back