090 versus 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me how does the 088 rate against the 090?

I've been looking for a good looking 090 but the one sold around here are usualy in very poor condition and with a history of DIY fixes that include wire wood screws and plumbing tape.

How does the 088 rate against the 090? Is it still all metal, or plastic?
Is it worth to trade older style no antivibe etc for 10cc more?

I think you answered your own question - most of the 090s that are still floating around have been run hard. Coupled with the challenges in sourcing parts, the appeal of the more modern 880 (or 088, 084) should seem obvious. So if this is something you NEED, get an 880. If this is just going to be a toy, then by all means hunt down an 090.

OH 9 Oh

Steve here... A happy 090 will pull a longer bar and cut faster than a stock 088. The 090 has tons more torque. The 088 will easily chain stall in big wood.
At the end of the day your arms will be longer with either saw, and hands numb from the 090
Steve

Last edited:
Personally, I'm quite happy with my 084. It does it's job with aplomb. However, I haven't really put in much time with my 090/070.

Hey Steve, how happy would an 090 be unhooking the governor? I imagine you have a lot experience with this saw both ways. Poor thing wants to rev up, but the gov is choking it down.

Chris B.

So there is a real difference in torque then.
Perhaps I have to find a good 090 then, a bit of a challenge.
As for parts, 090 is still in production and goes to Malasia and PNG via Sydney so we wouldn't have problems with parts.

Computeruser...all my chainsaws are toys :blob2:

Oh 9 Oh

Personally, I'm quite happy with my 084. It does it's job with aplomb. However, I haven't really put in much time with my 090/070.

Hey Steve, how happy would an 090 be unhooking the governor? I imagine you have a lot experience with this saw both ways. Poor thing wants to rev up, but the gov is choking it down.

Chris B.

Chris,
Steve here... First thing I did...I actually don't unhook it, I over wind the spring, then the choke still work properly, and the spring is so tight it won't let the govedrnor close the choke... I run a 9 pin with short bars.
Steve

I run a 41" bar with.404 full comp chisel chain on my 090. It is an extremely strong saw. I have had 40 inches of the bar buried in dry white oak and it gave no indication of stalling whatsoever. In fact the 090 seems to run better IN the wood. It IS a heavy saw ( mine w/bar is 34lbs) but otherwise very user friendly and that torque will spoil you.:)

So there is a real difference in torque then.
Perhaps I have to find a good 090 then, a bit of a challenge.
As for parts, 090 is still in production and goes to Malasia and PNG via Sydney so we wouldn't have problems with parts.

Computeruser...all my chainsaws are toys :blob2:
so your saying you can get people a brand new 090???? please expound---

Not sure if the 090 is still made, but the 070 is. I believe you can still get a new 070 in Mexico. Change the clutch and P&C and you'd basically have a new 090. The crankshafts used to be slightly heavier in the 090, not sure if that's still the case or not.

I don't speak spanish but here is a link to the Mexico Stihl 070 site. http://www.stihl.com.mx/cgi-bin/dos.cgi?sec=0&sub=0

They also sell the 038 Mag still as the MS380 and they still sell the 076 and 051 new down there.

Last edited:
Is there really a difference in crank weight between the 070/contra and the 090? I am currently building up a contra to 090 specs and sure would like to know if this is going to be a problem. From a nuts and bolts standpoint, so far everything seems to be a direct bolt in. Thanks

The cranks were the same, except there are different cranks available throughout the timespan of these models. If you can find a good one-piece crank-connecting rod assembly, use it instead of the crank with the bolt-on connecting rod. The one piece is more durable and will take more RPM.

Not sure if the 090 is still made, but the 070 is. I believe you can still get a new 070 in Mexico. Change the clutch and P&C and you'd basically have a new 090. The crankshafts used to be slightly heavier in the 090, not sure if that's still the case or not.

I don't speak spanish but here is a link to the Mexico Stihl 070 site. http://www.stihl.com.mx/cgi-bin/dos.cgi?sec=0&sub=0

They also sell the 038 Mag still as the MS380 and they still sell the 076 and 051 new down there.

The 090 is still made also, 070/090 are made in Germany - I don't know about the other older models.

Someone said some time ago that most of the 090s go to Malaysia, via Stihl Australia.

so how does one go about buying one of these new 070 or 090?

someone earlier posted new 070 were being sold for aprox. $440.
any Malaysia AS members willing to help?

The 090 is still made also, 070/090 are made in Germany - I don't know about the other older models.

Someone said some time ago that most of the 090s go to Malaysia, via Stihl Australia.

Last edited:
Back