1/2 hr to make it right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a question for all you handfilers?
I was reading over some of the Game of logging events and rules I read this one in particular and found it to be interesting. They will supply you with a dull chain a powerhead and give you a 1/2 hr to sharpen the chain to your likeing and make a series of timed cuts. All that considered and I am assuming it is a 3/8 p 20 inch bar (72lg) full comp chisel chain. just how far back would you file the chain and how much would you take off the rakers? I hope I made myself clear to everyone I am not the greatest at typing on the computer yet! Let me know what you think, Later Wade Huggins

Since the edge won't need to last very long, I'd go with a tad more hook than my normal sharpening for a more agressive cut.

I agree with Mike, sounds like a neat contest. More of a realistic test of skills rather than just holding the throttle of a saw someone else set up.

Quick and dirty filing

I dont think in half an hour you would have time to file the teeth back a lot to get a narrower kerf as you would also be into taking a fair bit off the depth guides. I would file with about a 35 degree
back angle and lots of down handle. Have lots of hook and deepen the gullets. If you had time left and it was allowed you could get some gains by thinning underneath with a chisel bit file without going right out to the edges established with the round file. You can also thin the corner with a 1/8 round file and make some gains.

Frank

Game Of Logging is a real fun compitetion. most of the guys square file.
it not much brute force. more know how and precision. i enjoy them. marty

Chainsaworld; Are the chains round filed as received and how are they dulled. Do the fellows that win find time to reduce the tooth length to any extent. I felt i'd probably do better round filing than the botchy job of square filing I'd get in that length of time, but you've been there and done that so fill me in,

Frank

Crowe,

Not a bad idea to take a couple new sharp files(if you're allowed more then 1),might save a little filing time.

Would be a interesting event to attend,wish you the best!

Rick

crofter, I have a question?

Crofter,
Everything you metioned to me is exactly the way I intended to approach it. However, I have never tried thinning the underneath with a chisel bit file as you mentioned or the 1/8 round file to thin the corner is new to me as well.I have never filed for what you would call a timed event, only for working in the woods. It seems to me that my chain doesn't cut at its peak untill I have filed it for the third or fourth time. I am not really one to count strokes but the third or fourth filing for me would be around 12 strokes on each side for me. I like to file sitting on a tree with my stump vise generally my chin is almost touching the chain brake. I file right and left handed so I have to watch a little I seem to apply a little more pressure with my left than I do my right so after the third or fourth filing I have to chase the right side littleto even up so I keep my file-o-plate handy. When thinning the underneath with the chisel bit and thinning the corner with 1/8 round file how many strokes are we talking about. I would like to go down to the barn this weekend and give that a try. Holler back first chance you get, thanks for all your help Wade Huggins

Square File?

Marty,
I know very little about square filing I have heard some mention of it from time to time but it has never really caught on around here. If you dont mind tell me a little more about the square filed chain pro's, con's and what not. Would I be at a disadvantage round filing? Is it hard to file? Holler back first chance you get, thanks Wade Huggins

Crowe; I dont want to answer this for Marty, I'm sure no expert but have been doing a bit of square filing and would be glad to let you know how it is working for me. Send me a private message and we can hook up. There are a few others too who are learning and maybe there is enough to get a thread going to compare notes.

Frank

Back